Thread: Scan Rate / Refresh Rate adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scan Rate / Refresh Rate adjustment?

I built a small mini 32 LED board to test my 3 LedTricks controllers.

Running on a laptop with Vixen 2.0.1.0. Controller using wjohn's V6 PCB. I tested with MBI and Allegro chips. Results are the same. Also the laptop is grounded to the PCB board.

I would like to know if there is a way to adjust the scan rate so that it refreshes faster? This may change the brightness of the LEDs however. In the attached video I run though several changes and ended with a single pixel lit for 7000 ms.

The scanning is visible with what appears to be random refresh rates / brightness. Is this typical? All three of my boards do this.

ms
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

KC has the refresh rate as high as he can get it
    believe its almost 100 times per sec.
    What prossesor do you have running it.

once the sign is built the flicker is not that noticable
    http://media.putfile.com/led34

Post Thanks / Like

What computer and operating system are you using for the test, and what other software is on it at the time of the test? My suspicion is that the flickering is caused by some other software on your computer slowing things down. Some higher priority process is delaying the execution of the vixen runtime software, causing the variations in brightness.

It is not just the refresh rate that matters, but also how constant the refresh periods are.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Its running on a laptop with XP SP2. The processor is a via 1.2ghz with 1gb of RAM. At the time of the test it wasn't running anything outside of the OS and virus program. Will try to disable the virus program for another test.

I rebooted the computer several times after switching parallel port type config in the bios to try all options, no change.

I haven't tried it yet on my show PC that I used last year. I need to reinstall the OS.

This is my first time with the LedTricks hardware / software so ultimately I don't know what to expect. I am having a good time with it so I am happy.

ms
    Matt Stemple