Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choppy Playback with Vixen 3...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Choppy Playback with Vixen 3...

Just for the record, I'm one of those non Intel users.
    I have an 8 core AMD 3.1 GHZ with 16GB ram.
    I'm running win 7 and not much else on the show PC.
    Running off an SSD and have around 12000 channels.
    I'm using 2x J1 sys p12S, Ren c and Enttec DMX USB Pro for my controllers.
    I Find that if I try to use my Mega tree (1024 Px) and my Pixel grid (720 Px) I start to notice some major lag.
    Any more pixels and its too noticeable.
    I've changed my shows to limit my active elements at any one time but am hoping to be able to use it to full effect in future years.
    Could this be an issue throwing all that data down one network line (prior to the network switch)?

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

No, the network is almost certainly not your problem... at 24 universes even on a 10M wire you're still at 25% bandwidth.
    It might be worth checking to see if the p12Ses have any 'overrun' error report available.
    But, by far, this is most likely a V3 problem trying to compute the data to send (yes, it can be that slow).
    I'm working on a tweak that might spread the work out across your 8 cores a bit better.

Best,
    Bill L.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my show going smoothly last night.

1st problem was my little crappy 5port switch was causing lots (3-5) of 1-2sec pauses in each song. Swapped out and all my short pauses are gone. Yea!

2nd problem was long pauses of 5-10sec, only one or two per 15min show. Combined my two shows and reduced total sequences from 2x25min shows, into one 25min show that runs roughly every half hour.
    I had an intro, then 4 songs, followed by a filler sequence run 3 time to fill out 25min. 2nd show was same intro, 4 different songs, and same filler 3 times again.
    Now I have intro and 7 songs. Just put it on repeat, and it finally runs smooth.

What a stress release it was seeing it run properly.

Regards,
    Rowan

Post Thanks / Like

I Have done the same with chopping off my lead in and making the show one longer show on repeat and still the issues.
    I am not a network wiz and bought the switch on flee-bay. I bought a name brand but not a high-end switch.
    What are the differences (thought they where all relatively the same)?
    Can you recommend a particular type / brand or something I should look for in any replacement.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

josh, I am using all gigabit switches in my show. The traffic overhead is not high enough for it to be a switch issues (Unless its a real POS)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Teddy.

Looks like it is the program then.
    Just to be clear, Vix 3 is brilliant and thanks to all involved but cannot wait to take full advantage of my display next year when its a bit more refined........ha ha planning already!!!!!!!

Josh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123