Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PVC frames for ground border pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC frames for ground border pixels

It's a 4 channel pixel extender board from j1sys. It balances the data line for long distance runs. There's a smaller receiver for each string. That's what's inside those green tubes by the power supplies on the ground.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I created these
    http://falconchristmas.com/forum/ind...opic,67.0.html

These was 16' PVC split rail fencing that I cut in half lengthwise. I also shortened them to 10' sections. Each section has a 3 wire connector at each end. I connect four together to run them in 40' sections.
    Each section is driven by a Pixelnet smart string controller. Pixelnet caries 12v on the cat 5 so no power injection is needed.

I had 160',it works great.
    Sean
    Littleton, CO
    Latest releases [url]http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases[/url]
    xLights/Nutcracker Forum [url]http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php[/url]
    Facebook [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/628061113896314[/url]

[IMG]http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/images/ZZ_SEAN5.gif[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

So...they are only staked into the ground ONCE per 10' section?..no droop?

Post Thanks / Like

no. twice per section. there's one at the joint, and one in the middle of each section. I also have a few extra stakes in my tighter curves to hold them curved.

There's no droop, but PVC does expand and contract a lot. The long straight sections will get a bit wavy on a warm day. (stakes or not)

Post Thanks / Like

The large green pvc pipe in the ground with wires going to it....does that go into your garage or home? Or I am imagining things? I have been tossing around ideas of a entry of some sort into my garage to neatly run power cords...they are currently just laid side by side under the closed garage door.
    2012: First year, 104 renard channels
    2013: 280 Renard Channels, 1050 Pixel Channels (2 x E6804)
    2014: Going pixel crazy!

[URL="www.strotherfamilychristmas.com"]www.strotherfamilychristmas.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strother85 View Post
    The large green pvc pipe in the ground with wires going to it....does that go into your garage or home? Or I am imagining things? I have been tossing around ideas of a entry of some sort into my garage to neatly run power cords...they are currently just laid side by side under the closed garage door.
    neither. that goes to another box just like it on the other side of the driveway. that's a irrigation valve box. they cost about $5 at menards. The pipe connecting the two is 4" PVC.

all of my wires going into the garage are just tucked under the corner of the garage door.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    neither. that goes to another box just like it on the other side of the driveway. that's a irrigation valve box. they cost about $5 at menards. The pipe connecting the two is 4" PVC.

all of my wires going into the garage are just tucked under the corner of the garage door.
    Gotcha, someone actually brought a 3 inch pvc through the front of their garage, thought you did similar under the ground. Still nice neat job on the border. I may have to copy this in the future, the ground stakes never end up working for me...they either get cold and break or they get buried with snow.
    2012: First year, 104 renard channels
    2013: 280 Renard Channels, 1050 Pixel Channels (2 x E6804)
    2014: Going pixel crazy!

[URL="www.strotherfamilychristmas.com"]www.strotherfamilychristmas.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually considered bringing the wires into the garage this way but I haven't been able to motivate myself to core holes thru the garage slab and footing. And my garage is brick so I dont just want to go thru the wall above ground.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkvackwards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I've had several people ask how I did my setup for my pixels along the gardens and driveway borders, so I figured I'd do a little write-up. Here's what I've got:

I wanted to create rigid frames to mount my pixels to make setup each year quick and easy each year. Pixels dont melt snow, so i wanted them to ne off the ground a bit so they would still be effective with a few inches on the ground. My pixels are GECE but this should work for any pixel type.

I used 10' lengths of 3/4" gray PVC conduit. I cut off the belled ends before the taper so the pipe was just a uniform diameter the whole length. I chose gray because its uv stabilized and its a more muted color. Plus its cheaper. I save the cut off ends to make couplers.

I cut off whatever taper is leftover. The net effect is that these cutoffs are now uniform diameter. The goal if for them to slip over the ends of the long pipe on both sides like a coupler. Then I take these homemade couplers to the table saw. I set the blade so that it would cut thru the wall of the PVC but not go thru the other side. I set the fence so that the blade is roughly centered on the pipe. Then I rip a slot along the length of the coupler. This makes a coupler that can be spread open a bit, and squeezed tight. Next drill a 3/8" hole thru the coupler. The hole should go in the middle and go thru both sides. Orient the hole so that the slot is on the side. If you mess up any of the couplers and run out of cutoffs, you can make new ones from 1" gray PVC. Finished coupler-stake looks like this:
    . This particular one is off center (I accidentally broke it) but kept it as a spare. I colored the slit with a sharpie for clarity.

Then I drlll a 3/8" hole thru the middle of every long section.

Now to make the standoff stakes. I used 3/8" threaded rod. I used the standard stuff you find in the electrical section of menards in 10' lengths (near the unistrut, not the conduit). I thought about rusting, but I figured for the price, I'd risk not worrying about it. It's worked just fine so far. It's been outside last year from mid September thru Easter, and 6 weeks already this year. Cut the rod into 16" sections with a hacksaw or portaband. Make sure to preserve the threads on at least one side as you cut. If you have to, fix the threads by chasing them with a die. Next take a locking nut (ny-lock) the kind with the nylon insert. Put the but on each rod section and put it about 2 or 2.5" down the rod. This will serve to hold the pipe up off the ground. A second standard nut will go on the top during final assembly. You can use wing nuts to make it easier if you like. But I was too cheap for that.

Next I assembled the pixels on the long pipe. Simply wire tie them to the pipe. I used one wire tie on each side of every pixel. For good measure, I positioned the head of the tie on the bottom of the pipe. A wire tie gun really helps this process.

5 pic limit.......
    Is it possible to fix the image links so I can see this?

Post Thanks / Like

They're all working on my screen. I'm not sure what's going on for you.
    Seeing the pics of the unpaved driveway reminds me though. I should update this write up for my improved method. I paved the driveway last year and it changed size and shape in the process. So I took the opportunity to rework my methods for improved speed and expansion tolerance. My poor mans split couplers and thru holes are gone now. They're now mounted on a floating joint made possible by a special kind of snap tee.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast