Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wondering

Post Thanks / Like

Default wondering

Hi every one, can someone help me with this question. what kind of string light i can use with the dc ssr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wondering

Most store bought string lights run off 120VAC in North America.
    A DC SSR is limited by the D.C. power supply voltage like 5V, 12V, 24V, etc. So you need a string that runs off a DC power supply.

What strings do you have in mind?

Edit: Dumb RGB can be run off a DC SSR.
    Last edited by LightUp; 11-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks LightUp for your quick reply. I live in Chicago so I am planning to use store bought strings. I just finished to built a renard plus 32 controller. Can you help me to find what do i need to run store bought strings with my renard. and where can i buy what ever i need.
    Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a Renard system.
    But basically your Renard32 handles the serial COM port signals from a computer and extracts the 32 channel data control signals to drive an external solid state relay (SSR), one for each channel. Your lights will connect to this external AC-SSR. Also see this - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...ntroller_Board - for more details.
    The type of AC-SSR will be determined by how many light strings are connected to one AC-SSR channel. See here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...d_State_Relays

Others, who already have a working system, may be able to help you further to determine which AC-SSR is suitable for your lights. You basically need to know the AC current required for each channel and then find an AC-SSR that can handle that current.

Post Thanks / Like

Complete kits are here:

http://radiant-holidays.com/radiant_...ex&cPath=14_17

The DirkCheapSSR is the least cost option for store bought strings as long as you run a few mini lights per channel, or LED strings. A kit of 4 will control 16 channels so if you plan to run all 32 channels you would need two kits.
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LightUp. Thanks for the info and help as well. I gues I need to go for the ac-ssr right? do you know a goo place to buy them?

Once again tanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks captkirt for your help. But what you mean with a few mini lights per channel? How many string I can set per channel?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I, personally, use LED strings but looking at the VO2223A spec sheet you can only do 1A RMS on that output. Incandescent strings (check the specs before you buy) are around 20W for 50 lights and 41W for 100 bulbs. That crazy Ohm dude crops up and gives 200mA (0.2A) for the 50 bulbs and 400mA (0.4A) for the 100 bulbs. The LED bulbs I use are 4.8W for 70 bulbs or 43.6mA (0.0436A). I used 110V for margin.

That means you can run around 4 of the 50 incandescent bulb sets (5 is pushing into your design margin), around 2 of the 100 bulb incandescent sets, or around 22 of the 70 LED bulb sets on each circuit.

If you want to use those incandescent strings, you would want to look at one of the SSR projects that use the BTA08 triacs. Those give 8A per channel but remember you generally only have 15A or 20A on an outlet.

EDIT: I used this project for my SSRs...http://computerchristmas.com/christm...ching_unit_SSR
    Last edited by Uilnaydar; 11-10-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to check the current rating of your lights, and the current rating of the ACSSR.

For example, I have a box consisting of one string with 50 G8-LEDs and it takes .04amps. Assuming a dirkcheapSSR (http://diychristmas.org/store/product.php?id_product=65) can handle 1.0 amp, you can then drive 25 of these strings on one ACSSR. If you want to plug a number of strings end to end then pay attention to what the manufacturer says about how many strings you are allowed to connect together as one long string. In my example the box says that 45 strings may connected end-to-end for a maximum of 1.8amps. through the entire strings.

I don't have an actual example to prove that this scenario works flawlessly. Some members here experience flicker with LED lights under certain conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what I meant. Different strings take different current and you need to stay under the 1A of the VO2223 part (actually one amp is the MAX and it is probably better to stay under that a bit.)

You would not want to try to run a string of C9's off one because lengths of those take POWER.
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast