Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: REQ: MAC OSX version

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: REQ: MAC OSX version

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    The iPhone integration with the Mac is much better than with any other PC or Smartphone.

IMnsHO.
    not quite true ...windows mobile's integration works pretty solid , just dont like the phones
    [B][I]MY Favorite Links:[/I][/B]
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"][COLOR="red"]Christmas Wiki[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/dancingofthelights"][COLOR="red"]My Facebook Page[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.calvertimage.com"][COLOR="red"]My Website[/COLOR][/URL]
    144 - Renard48lsd channels
    272 - channels in use
    40,000 lights synchronized and static

50% assembled and displayed

Post Thanks / Like

Windows phone/OS integration is good but personally I still think that the iPhone/Mac integration is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    Check again, Mavericks push the usable platform back to the 7,1 series machines so you may be able update the Mini.

The only reason I'm not on Mavericks is they there is an issue being fixed on Wine/WineBottler. You can patch around it but the suggestion has been to wait. I'd love to run XEN on my Mac but they won't support them officially so you can run the MacOS. Parallels still has too much overhead for my liking which is why I'm using WineBottler.
    Nope. It is quite a bit older. It's a early 2006 1,1 model.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I started this thread with a simple question: is there a version of Vixen or a Vixen-like program that runs on a MAC? I didn't intend for it to digress into a comparison of Windows vs MAC. I just didn't want have to buy a new computer or install Windows in my MAC just to run one program once per year.... the points made gave been insightful( and in some cases very helpful), but it looks like I will have to breakdown and buy a copy of Win7 and make a new partition.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions😸

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by celtman123 View Post
    I started this thread with a simple question: is there a version of Vixen or a Vixen-like program that runs on a MAC? I didn't intend for it to digress into a comparison of Windows vs MAC. I just didn't want have to buy a new computer or install Windows in my MAC just to run one program once per year.... the points made gave been insightful( and in some cases very helpful), but it looks like I will have to breakdown and buy a copy of Win7 and make a new partition.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions��

My suggestion is to just look for a simple laptop with Windows XP/Win 7 on it. Plenty of laptops/desktops for sale on craigslist and ebay for $200 or less.

If you have a Microcenter near you, they have some great deal on Refurbished computers.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking that route too

Post Thanks / Like

I'd at least give Crossover a try as the 14 day trial cost nothing. If it works then you could either buy it or try WineBottler which is free.

Dont mind the banter on Mac vrs the PC. It's been going on for years;)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it goes on all the time with me too... It's even been known to be the major focal point in a few bar fights!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Just to give the official word on this, with respect to Vixen 3 (I'm not getting into Mac vs. PC vs. Linux at all, I love them all equally....) ;-)

From a purely pragmatic point of view, Vixen 3 will be officially supported on only Windows for the forseeable future. I'm not saying that makes it better for any reason, but purely because it's been written in .NET and it's not easily portable. I know some people have tried with Mono in the past for Linux (not sure how much success they had).

Given that that's the situation at the moment, to make it truly cross-platform would be such a major undertaking that I'm not sure it's feasible or practical for a hobby project like Vixen. Any spare time we have we're working on V3 features to make it better, and I don't know that portability is enough of a feature compared to some of the other stuff we're working on.

Sure, future versions -- if we have to rewrite from the ground up -- might end up being in a different language, or some other format that is truly portable. However, for now, we're pretty firmly bound to windows-only, be it for better or for worse.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

finally got to download WB but... it saved as an .exe that OSX won't open

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast