Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REQ: MAC OSX version

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: REQ: MAC OSX version

Quote Originally Posted by griffixdc View Post
    oh for sure i am not diagreeing with the idea..i personally own both and prefer the Mac for its platform stability....i am not experienced in software or plugin development so i cannot say how easy it is to write stuff for either or or even better cross between both...i do think crossing over to mac interface would improve HLS in its self because of all the other programs it utilizes for effects AE as one of them... AE works better IMO on MAC than Windows.....your right about the demand... but a lot of what we do is in the development world and always expanding development so for this aspect keeping it Windows platform keeps it simple for development purposes.
    This is purely a myth . Pc's graphics adapters combined with multi core processors are way better than mac for rendering AE compositions.

If your comparing the two especially cost wise .

To render efficiently you need at min. 3x hdds .

just my ,02
    Last edited by angus40; 10-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    This is purely a myth . Pc's graphics adapters combined with multi core processors are way better than mac for rendering AE compositions.

If your comparing the two especially cost wise .

To render efficiently you need at min. 3x hdds .

just my ,02
    from my experience side by side mac and windows components being about the same Mac works faster and more efficiently , windows has to have more memory to do the same tasks. myth is only not tested theories, i have seen and felt the difference .....this is not to say i have never seen a faster windows computer... i have seen systems that run about 2x faster and can process 4x more processes at the same time compared the most elite macs vs windows(PC)
    [B][I]MY Favorite Links:[/I][/B]
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"][COLOR="red"]Christmas Wiki[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/dancingofthelights"][COLOR="red"]My Facebook Page[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.calvertimage.com"][COLOR="red"]My Website[/COLOR][/URL]
    144 - Renard48lsd channels
    272 - channels in use
    40,000 lights synchronized and static

50% assembled and displayed

Post Thanks / Like

You do loose some of the interface if you take the simple route as was done with xlights but I can handle that. Even when doing it the simple way then integration can be handled by having a common function for accessing the calendar then write the one for the platform you're on. That's fairly common when doing cross platform.

The best ones build the core code which does the work less the I/O and then write specific interface code for each platform. Those done that way not only looks good but integrate well.

Bottom line is that you need to plan for cross platform is you want it to look like the program was written for each platform. It's harder but it can and has been done.

Post Thanks / Like

this brings up the next (HMMMMMM) what about cell phones
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"][COLOR="red"]Christmas Wiki[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/dancingofthelights"][COLOR="red"]My Facebook Page[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.calvertimage.com"][COLOR="red"]My Website[/COLOR][/URL]
    272 - channels in use

Post Thanks / Like

Since we comparing Mac vas PC do you know which PC run Windows with the least problems? Play Final Jeopardy theme… It's a Mac, yes that's right the Mac runs native Windows more reliably than most PCs.

Still I've used and supported both in a business environment and hands down the Mac comes out on top when it comes to having the least problems and the best functionally. More and more Businesses are moving to the Mac especially when it comes to notebooks.

Microsoft has one really big problem that they just cannot seem to fix. Every other major release is total crap. Windows 3x was crap, Windows 95 was good, Windows ME, I've always call ME the Masochistic Edition, was crap, Windows 98 was good, Windows Vista was crap, Windows 7 was good and Windows 8 is crap.

In my not so humble opinion this time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    Since we comparing Mac vas PC do you know which PC run Windows with the least problems? Play Final Jeopardy theme… It's a Mac, yes that's right the Mac runs native Windows more reliably than most PCs.

Still I've used and supported both in a business environment and hands down the Mac comes out on top when it comes to having the least problems and the best functionally. More and more Businesses are moving to the Mac especially when it comes to notebooks.

Microsoft has one really big problem that they just cannot seem to fix. Every other major release is total crap. Windows 3x was crap, Windows 95 was good, Windows ME, I've always call ME the Masochistic Edition, was crap, Windows 98 was good, Windows Vista was crap, Windows 7 was good and Windows 8 is crap.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103680

show me a mac that will compete with this processor for this price and speed ... not to mention reliability

This gem benchmarks out against the I7 at a fraction of the $$$$

Building your own rig with pc's is the only way to go imo.

But we all have different needs and experiences .
    Last edited by angus40; 10-28-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post

you forgot windows XP ...that one was really the only one i can say that was good and is still good... otherwise DOS ....i like all the systems but i prefer UNIX based programming
    272 - channels in use

Post Thanks / Like

Cross platform is easily talked about, but not easily accomplished. I am one of the Devs contributing to Vixen. I have and primarily use Macs as my preferred daily platform. I develop for Vixen with Windows 7 in a VM running in Xen on Linux. My show computer is a older Mac mini that has been repurposed after Apple no longer provided OS upgrades for it. It happily runs Win 7 and Vixen. I write .NET web apps for a living. I have done a lot of JAVA and some Objective C development in the past. So I like to think I am fairly versed in cross platform. The problem you have is none of the platforms have a uniform way of doing anything. So everything is a compromise when trying to make it work cross platform. You can write apps in the lowest common denominator that can be cross compiled, but you don't get to use any of the things people come to expect. Most of the cross platform widget libraries are just bare bones and don't resemble the native style of the parent OS. It is hard enough to support an app on one platform let alone truing to deal with it across multiple platforms and configurations. I want my Mac apps to be Apple scriptable. But Linux folks can care less about that. The Linux desktop has been in a perpetual state of flux for years. Believe me I used it for several years, but at the end of the day I wanted something that worked and integrated well so I switched to OSX. I get my Unix box with a good desktop.

So in reality, with a little creativity you can embrace them all and use the tool that best accomplishes the desired task.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe I forgot XP, Oh well.

XP is one of the most stable releases if Windows I've worked with. I know many companies that have hundreds of PCs and they're all running XP. If I dropping XP then I'd go to Windows 7 which is almost, well maybe even equal, as stable as XP. When is comes to server software Windows server 2003 and 2008 are two of the best.

When you get into the Pro Macs they are very competitive with the same level PCs. The new MacPro is going to be one hell of a barn burner. With two of the latest Xeon 6 core processors with the memory and I/O channels it has that will beat it.

Mac notebooks are really hard to beat for what you get. You can get cheaper but you don't get the really same quality system.

The iMac is a nice all in one machine that quite solid and not badly priced but it is more costly. Then you add in the cost to upgrade the OS, was almost free and now are free, you start becoming more equal.

And then when you look at new sales the Mac growth rate is much better than any PC.

The iPhone integration with the Mac is much better than with any other PC or Smartphone.

IMnsHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Mac mini that has been repurposed after Apple no longer provided OS upgrades for it
    Check again, Mavericks push the usable platform back to the 7,1 series machines so you may be able update the Mini.

The only reason I'm not on Mavericks is they there is an issue being fixed on Wine/WineBottler. You can patch around it but the suggestion has been to wait. I'd love to run XEN on my Mac but they won't support them officially so you can run the MacOS. Parallels still has too much overhead for my liking which is why I'm using WineBottler.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast