Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: User Titles and Ranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default User Titles and Ranks

I have made some changes to the User Titles and Ranks. This will more accurately indicate a members history here on this forum.

You may be asking what the difference is between a Title and Rank. To add to the confusion is something called a User Group. I think the best way to describe it would be:

Title:
    Junior Member = less than 250 posts
    Member = 250 posts - 999 posts
    Senior Member = 1000 posts or more
    Supporting Member = Donates to the forum

The issue comes in when someone becomes a Supporting Member. The User Title changes and it can be somewhat intimidating to a less experienced poster when looking for advice. There is no direct indication of their "experience" on the forum. For this reason I have added User Ranks. The Ranks are only for the Supporting Member User Group as the Registered User Group simply displays the User Title. You will see the new User Ranks simply follow suit with the User Titles.

Junior Member = Supporting Member with less than 250 posts
    Member = Supporting Member with 250 - 999 posts
    Senior Member = Supporting Member with 1000 posts or more

I think this will assist in a everyone getting a better feel of the membership at large. An inexperienced member will not be masked by the Supporting Membership User Title and a Senior Member will be recognized accordingly. This masking has been brought to my attention on numerous occasions and thus the changes were made.

When I indicate "experience" on the forum in an above statement I placed in in quotes as simple post count does not necessarily reflect ones knowledge but it can help when reading a post and making a determination about an individual. Usually the higher posters are very knowledgeable about specific topics.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: User Ttiles and Ranks

Sounds Good Brian!
    Is there any new news on the member ranking that was talked about in the past? It was equated to the feedback system on ebay If I remember correctly...

Post Thanks / Like

I do not recall such. Can you elaborate or link me?
    Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

This is one:
    http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...ht=user+rating

But not the one I was thinking of

I can't find the other one. I'm pretty sure it was here on this site...

Basicly just a rating system of what others thought of you, your posts, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, In the thread it talks about a B/S/T feedback system. You are referring to reputation ratings I think? I could see where that might get ugly and cause more controversy. We seem to have plenty of that lately.
    Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

OK - Just wondering...

In that thread it was a B/S/T rating, but I thought there was another that talked about user ratings like I mentioned...

Since I can't seem to find it - It may have been on another forum.

I think it would be kind of useful - even better if you could make people start out with some number like "100" when they join (Like Karma points )

Everyone could bump you up for positive things you contribute, or bump you down for moronic things you do, and you could make a low level mark for auto ban at like "5" or something - That way, no one persons personal vendetta could get you evicted, but 95 people could self regulate the forum.

Just an idea, the numbers are arbitrary, Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Awe Shucks, ya busted me, now I cant tell people what an expert I am by hiding behind my supporting member title. Really I think this is a great idea. If it was up to me I would just drop the supporting member title all together. I hope that the title was not the reason anyone donated.
    Thanks again for providing an awesome site for me to learn about lighting control. This has been a great resource to me and a place to enjoy my other hobby of trying to understand people way smarter than me.

Thanks,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

What? Busted to buck private overnight??

Seems to now be too much information in the rank now though. Why not just 'Supporting Junior Member' or 'Junior member' instead of the two title setup.

I kind of like kmc's idea.
    Last edited by rlilly; 03-17-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: sp
    Bob
    ----
    I love the smell of solder flux in the morning....smells like Christmas magic...[URL="http://photobucket.com/setup-2008"]Set up Done!![/URL] [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/rlilly/videos"]Showtime!![/URL]
    (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true) Ephesians5:9

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob.

The only reason I mentioned it was because I'd hate to be in Brian's shoes...
    After seeing some of the crazy things in the last few weeks, I thought a way to have the community police the community would be better than to have Brian have to be the bad guy (Not that he still couldn't have ultimate authority) but kind of a "The tribe has spoken" thing... (For all you survivor fans )

Post Thanks / Like

HMM JR member.....in 50 years i might be a Senior Member = 1000 posts or more
    Unless we close the chat room

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast