Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cannot make a cat5 cable (GEEZ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cannot make a cat5 cable (GEEZ)

Good 'un matt!... I just grabed a blank and followed my own steps and realised that I do exactly that - but just didn't without thinking about it! :D
    Maybe I shouyld youtube the next one

fcky529: the comment of the solid core - I concur... but be aware - there is an extensive thread on this elsewhere where I was "scorched" (not quite *flamed*) when I suggested this! A great many believe that it should be "fine" and that is a "pureists" view..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aususer View Post

fcky529: the comment of the solid core - I concur... but be aware - there is an extensive thread on this elsewhere where I was "scorched" (not quite *flamed*) when I suggested this! A great many believe that it should be "fine" and that is a "pureists" view..
    I would have to agree with both of you - I use solid on almost ALL of my cat5 - because it's ALOT easier to re-crimp etc. and is much cheaper. However stranded works much better for tight places, or where it could move alot - the solid can break and cause all kinds of havoc. I have ran cat5 inside of a motor home, and inside of "Rody" boxes where things get moved alot, and stranded all ways lasts longer.

For my show the only place I used stranded was inside of my LEDtriks where I had to solder it.

Just to confuse everyone a bit more- there is shielded cat5 also - Personally I have never seen stranded STP cat5.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the easiest way is once you remove the jacket, untwist all the colors and one by one wiggle it in a circular motion to get it straight. I then put them in order then cut to make sure they are all even.
    [url]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/static/vixensig120.gif[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I've been having some Cat 5 cabling issues myself. I kept making them and I'm thinking they are perfect but my tester is saying the 1st pair is not there (White/Orange, Orange), so I cut and redo. After further investigation and putting my multimeter across it I find the wires are GOOD! I discovered my TESTER pin was a bit bent. It is actually a good tester but I guess a socket went in wrong once.

Also, I found the stripper built into the crimper didn't work all the time. I bought this cheap one from Radio Shack and it works like a charm

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102881

It even has a punch down tool on the end.

One other trick I learned is that instead of removing only an inch of the outer jacket, take a couple inches off. It gives your fingers more room to untwist the pairs and line them up. When you get them nice and flat in the order you like, just snip them down to the right length.
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have learned this season (no, actually two) is don't buy the 'el cheapo' Cat 5, or male plugs. I went with the cheapest of each I could find, and I have had to remake or replace about a dozen cables this year........
    My first year I used a better quality cable (thicker insulation) and plugs and didn't have one problem...........
    Just sayin.............

Post Thanks / Like

i HAVE BEEN USING THIS TYPE FOR YEARS AND NO FAILURES OR MISWIRES.

IT IS NOT YOU ONLY THE CONNECTORS

http://www.smarthome.com/89209/EZ-RJ...15-Pack/p.aspx

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678