Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot make a cat5 cable (GEEZ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cannot make a cat5 cable (GEEZ)

OK - I just looked at the schematic, and at least for the Renards, it is pin 4 and 5 for the data, so if I were you I'd stick to the standard.

Post Thanks / Like

do the cables for the SSRs matter?

I do build them cat5 standard, mostly because its a good habit, and you never know, I may want to use it as a NETWORK cable some day.
    [url]http://www.christmasalabama.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that is where my thought was coming from. Last year I had a couple of 595's (thanks Brian) and my cat5 was to SSR's. Now that I am building some Ren24's I probably need to be aware of the data. Plus knowing that any cable I make will be suitable for any application will take the guesswork out of "is this a SSR cable or a Renard cable". Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, I had trouble as well. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy. I bought several patch cables because I didn't think I could do it. My suggestions would be the same as the rest, make sure they are flat, and make sure all wires are pushed all the way in(that was my problem).
    Last edited by WakeFan; 03-16-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason to stick to an industry cat5 standard wiring scheme is so you can utilize the cable for other uses. I know I do. I make all my cat5 cables, whether for the display or my home network, to the same standard.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe i am just tired and missing it, but did someone say what the correct order should be for "industry standard"?
    1 channel, 0 dimmable. Powered by a man flicking a lightswitch to the beat.

Tech Christmas Guest

1 White/Green
    2 Green
    3 White/Orange
    4 Blue
    5 White/Blue
    6 Orange
    7 White/Brown
    8 Brown

Here are the tricks... strip more of the jacket off than you need. Line the wires up side by side and trim the colored wires so they are all the same length.

When you put them in the connector look at it from the plug end. (Like you are going to plug it into your eye socket) You should be able to see copper tips pointing at you. If you don't see all 8 copper wires, don't crimp it.

Now check to see that each wire is in it's "lane." (there are little plastic lines to guide the wire to the right place. you can see them from the "bottom" of the connector... if the clip is on the top)

Here's the deal... If you can see all 8 tips and all the wires are in their lane, it is basically impossible for it not to work.

There are dozens of videos on youtube, watch 3 or 4 until you get the idea.
    Last edited by Tech Christmas; 03-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of youtube videos from a couple of companies that we purhcase networking supplies from. Tiger's video is pretty detailed and I think will answer most member's questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNu2N...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S6cj...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there are 2 standards (if that makes any sense). The one that Tech Christmas just posted (which is less common) and:

1 Orange/White
    2 Orange
    3 Green/White
    4 Blue
    5 Blue/White
    6 Green
    7 Brown/White
    8 Brown

This is the way that almost all pre-made patch cables are wired (check one yourself) . I have wired many offices and have always used this layout.
    Last edited by omzig; 03-17-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typo

Tech Christmas Guest

You are right -- but the standard you mention (T568B) is wrong. Yes, I know that is the way patch cables are made but that's wrong too.

If you use T568A you have backwards compatibility and compatibility with two line phone systems. With T568B you don't. If you're in a new building run T568A. If you're in a site that has legacy cabling that is T568B run it that way.

(/esoteric rant about which nobody cares but me) lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast