Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Projector ... So my GF is killing me to do the Virtual Santa / ghost in the window...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Projector ... So my GF is killing me to do the Virtual Santa / ghost in the window...

Little help with a projector for this task.

The windows in the house are pretty big and not sure what will get the job done.

It would be nice to have something that will easily do the window bit and maybe everyone once in a while watching movies with it if possible so at least it gets used more than twice a year...

I don't want to break the bank but I don't want something that wont work well for the holiday window bit.

Any help would be great as im not sure on this and don't want the hell of having to return a projector cause I was wrong.

The vid that caused all this lol
    Last edited by Elwayish; 08-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Projector ... So my GF is killing me to do the Virtual Santa / ghost in the windo

the way this is done is simple.

the window can be ANY framed thing. the sheet (preferably one that is solid white) is attached to the inside (away from the audience) to the top.
    then the projector, can be a cheap one to a very elaborate one. the cheap ones work great for images that are grainy and one have a few strong colors. in the video the images was shot in NEGATIVES to create the ghostly appearance.
    then the actor basically mimes what it would be like if they were looking out the window. add a few gestures,etc. allow it to loop and viola - instant ghost in the window.
    now what we did on stage (specifically the Rosanne show) was we had a LIVE actor being shot off stage then projected in the same way. this way the live actor (ghost) could actually interact with the screen actors. we often used "peppers ghost" to create a better effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Projector ... So my GF is killing me to do the Virtual Santa / ghost in the windo

What you're looking to do is simple rear projection. You'll need a projector and a rear projection screen.
    The projector doesn't need to be anything fancy. I'd say something around 3000-4000 lumens would be fine. 1024x768 resolution would be adequate. You don't need hi def for what you're trying to do. You should be able to find such a machine on eBay or Craigslist for fairly cheap.
    For the screen, an actual rear projection screen would be ideal. It consists of a stretchy translucent vinyl that either snaps of laces to a rigid or foldable frame to make a nice flat surface. If you can't find or don't want to spend the money on an actual RP screen, you can come up with a DIY solution. Use a 6 mil clear plastic drop cloth material and stretch it across some sort of wooden frame. You can gently use a heat gun or hair dryer to take out the wrinkles. But don't heat too much because it will start to get too clear. For the best effect, the screen would be inside the window. Not outside.
    You can't just project on the glass window itself. The projector's image would just go thru the glass and you wouldn't see anything. The screen is there to 'stop the light' on a surface. The image you're actually looking at the light diffused in the screen. Not the light as its coming from the projector. You can experiment with different translucencies. More clear will give you a more ghostly effect, but will allow more light spill thru the the material and a dimmer picture. More opaque will make a clearer and more distinct picture. But too opaque will block too much light.
    You will want to project at an angle to the screen that's within the projectors keystone correction ability. The keystone correction feature (on most, but not all projectors) squares up the picture to the screen when you're projecting at an angle. Youll have to experiment with angles that work for both your room Geometry and the projectors capability. You'd want to project at an angle to the screen that is not in the direction of the viewer. For example, if the viewer is below the window (2nd story window) you would put the projector on the floor pointed upward toward the window. This eliminates hot spotting and light spill. If you were able to draw an imaginary line from the viewer's eyes directly thru the screen to the projector lens, you will see a hot spot in the screen. And with a DIY plastic RP screen. This would probably be unacceptable.
    Unless you have a professional projector($5000+) most units don't like being placed at a sharp angle from horizontal. They mostly want to be 20 degrees or so from a flat position. This is for cooling purposes. You'll go thru expensive bulbs fast if you violate this spec.
    You'll probably find that the setup you create that looks great for ghosts will not work so well for movies. The same projector would be fine, but for movies you'll want a real screen and less angles.
    Have fun!

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

White shower curtain, I think I paid less than 5 bucks at ACE.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Note that the material in that Engadget article would be good for front projection. Most people doing a window projection would be doing rear projection. This keeps the projector inside the house where it likes to be.
    Front projection is when the projector is on the same side of the screen as the viewer. Like a movie theater. Or most classroom projectors.
    Rear projection is when the projector is behind the screen. This is how projection tvs work.
    When doing RP it's important to keep the RP room dark. So if you're using one of the rooms in your house as an RP room for your window, don't plan on using that room for anything else while its in use. You can probably get away with this in a spare bedroom. But probably not your living room.
    Rear projection material is a tricky thing. I've found the 6 mil plastic sheeting does a decent job for this sort or thing. But it is a bit soft looking so watching tv and movies on it isn't too great. But at a distance, and especially for ghosts and such it works ok.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I been doing some more reading and found this info.. http://backyardtheater.com/forums/in...p?topic=1143.0

Post Thanks / Like

I second the shower curtain idea as I have used that setup for Halloween with great success.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody have files to share for this type of presentation?
    or recommendations for affordable content to display?
    3rd Year - 640 channels - 18,706 lights - 1 Lost Mind
    FACEBOOK: Fallatt's Charlotte Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Hallowindow.
    He has a few different versions, I have used 2 and 3.
    http://hallowindow.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast