Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HDPE Arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HDPE Arches

Whoops. One more thing. 2" seems really big compared to the (about 5/8" maybe?) size of the RGB strips. Is it really "that tight" in the tubing? I got the waterproof strips from Ray Wu's store because it really rains a lot in Louisiana and I did not want to take a chance on water ingress!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Whoops. One more thing. 2" seems really big compared to the (about 5/8" maybe?) size of the RGB strips. Is it really "that tight" in the tubing? I got the waterproof strips from Ray Wu's store because it really rains a lot in Louisiana and I did not want to take a chance on water ingress!!
    I look at the dimensions again and it's not as bad as I thought. The raw strip is about 10mm wide and the tubing is about 12.5mm. I don't think the 2.5mm with make that much of a difference for arches that are only 3' or so tall.

I'm still working on a kit with end plugs, glands and cables for making the arches totally waterproof. I'm also working on mounts. The first quote I got was totally out of this world. Still getting additional quotes. I may talk to 3G Creations about making the mounts if I can't find a good local price. To use the cable and mounting kits you need to add about 5" to each end of the arch. as that's the amount of tubing that goes into the mounting tubes on the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Timon:
    Why did you go from PEX to HDPE? I have found HDPE in my home town, but I think it is quite a bit more expensive than the PEX. Thanks in advance!!!!!
    HDPE seems to have better lighting characteristics than PEX when using the 2" material plus it comes without any markings. PEX in 2" cost over $800 per 100' and HDPE is only is $1.51 per 100 or $1.89 for less than 100'. Shipping is not cheap but it cost about the same to ship either one.

If I decide to sell a complete arch that's ready to plug in using the sandevices connector pinouts I can ship those for about $35 to $50 for one in a 3' to 4' square box. More then one adds a lesser amount since they can be tapped together. No matter what you're paying dimensional weight rates with UPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would it have a 4-pin connector, don't the pixel strips only have three wires off them? Can you post a link to the connector you are talking about?

- Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idleup View Post
    Why would it have a 4-pin connector, don't the pixel strips only have three wires off them? Can you post a link to the connector you are talking about?

- Matt
    SanDevices uses a 4 pin connector for standardization.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to find that HDPE tubing locally because it cost just as much to ship it via freight from McMaster-Carr as it does to buy the tubing! Does anyone have any ideas who may stock it in San Antonio, TX or would anyone like to split a 100' roll?

- Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Matt-call a local plumbing company. I am in BR (smaller market than Houston for sure) and I found a local plumbing supply company that carries HDPE. Minimum length they are willing to provide is 100' @ $1.89/ft. Somehow the order I had with McMaster Carr got cancelled so I am going to pursue the local company. The 2" tubing as noted above was ~$95/50ft section plus $65 shipping. So, $1.89/100' (plus tax of course) is not bad...

Timon--thanks very much for the input!! I might still give the sharkbite a shot at Home Depot for my first run with arches. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide a good response!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So far HudsonExtrusions is the only one that I've found with the true 2" tubing and McMaster-Carr is the main distribution. You can order it direct for about $0.89 a foot with a $100 minimum charge but again we're back to shipping. A full roll has to go by fright. If your around the Great Lakes or East coast that's not too bad but to California it's about $170. If I was making a lot of arches where I could order 600 or more feet then the fright gets a bit better per 100' I think McMaster-Carr keeps the fright down since they use their own trucks to move their own product between their warehouses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum, but this thread is exactly what I was hoping to find information on. I just started animated lighting last year with 4 LOR controllers and an LED mega tree, this year I would like to add arches around it. I understand I might have to wait until next year, it may be too late to consider it for this year.

I have an oval driveway in front of my house. The mega tree sits in the center. I was originally going to do sleeve arches with LED lights, but I went to a get-together of decorators here in Denver in August, and learned a lot about RGB lights, so I would really like to try this out.
    The oval is about 48.5’ long and 18’ across, the inside circumference is 120’. I was going to do 24 arches around the oval. I made a prototype arch frame that is 5’ across and uses 8’ of tubing to make the arch. I thought that looked about right.

If I read this thread correctly, I could use the 5m strips that have been discussed, and make 2 arches out of each strip. So I would need a total of 12 strips, right?
    I have a couple of other question about this. If this is the wrong thread and I need to start a new one, just tell me.

Question #1: I’m not sure about what controller would be best to use for this. I can put the controller in the center at the base of the mega tree, so I would need to go about 24’ from the controller to the strips at the furthest edges of the oval, and about 9’ to the strips at the closest side of the oval. I would like to be able to go directly from the controller to the strips, and not have to use the little individual string controllers that I have seen some people use. They are usually encased in a small piece of PVC pipe. The only controllers I have looked at so far are the San Devices E682 and the Falcon F-16.

Question #2: Do I need something like an Etherdongle to connect this in with my existing LOR network of controllers? This seems to have something to do with Pixelnet vs. DMX?

Any guidance you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

- Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Your on the right track. This is the strip I prefer them since they are bright, have 20 pixels per meter with 3 5050 LEDs per pixel, and run on 12V at 6AM per 5 meter roll. To make the strips look good you want the 60 LEDs per meter but you do not need 60 pixels per meter which is why this strip is well suited for this application.

For your controller I'd go with Sandevices E682 or the E6804. For the extra $40 buck or so I like the E682 as you have more options.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I have some more questions about this:

I read through the description of this strip, but I didn't see anything about what type of connector is on it or how much lead wire there is. Do they come with any connector, or do I have to buy them and solder them on myself? I can probably do that, but I'd much rather get the strips with the connectors already on.

Will this strip work with 24 feet of lead wire on it? From what I have read, it sounds like the 12V strips will let you have a longer lead wire than the 5V strips, but I haven't found any guidelines with specific numbers on this.

As luck would have it, I won a E6804 controller as a door prize at the meeting I went to in August. But it looks like it only has 4 connectors on it, so I can't use this if I want to run 12 of the strips, right?

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast