Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HDPE Arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HDPE Arches

sure I will do it tonight how far do you want me to stand. that video was from about 12 feet, keep in mind I had the pixels do some pretty funks things not just straight fades. I wanted to see how the pixels looked myself, I guess i could slow them down a bit to show better color changes. but let me know and id be happy to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and listen i don't what to hijack this great post so pm me and id be happy to help in any way i can.

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph,

Since I pick it up from my local McMaster Carr I have no idea how they ship it so when McMaster shipped it to you…

Did they use Fedex, UPS or someone else?

What did the shipping cost? Since 50 ft is half a roll I would expect the shipping to be expensive but maybe not.

Did they wrap it so it was protected or just tape the ends together?

How big across was the loop as shipped?

Post Thanks / Like

HI,
    it was a trucking company wasn't that bad about $50 and it was here next day. I don't have the invoice with me now but if a remember right it was around $2 and something a foot, they did't offer any other service other then the trucking company. it came covered in shrink wrap from head to toe and it had to be 12 foot around it made two circles and i rolled it down my driveway like a tire. lol. I gave the trucking guy 3 changes to guess what i was using it for, and he just laughed when i told him. he was in a 18 wheeler truck. it was pretty cool.The McMaster-Carr is on the other the lower side of NJ from me, I'm about 2 hours each way....which would have coast me about $80 round trip in gas if not more in my truck, so i was willing to pay up to that for shipping. Now I'm pondering the idea of using this pipe some how to replace my 6 30 foot long driveway arches and make pixel driveway arches....do you have any thoughts how i could do this?lol I'm hooked!

5. Thanks DIY Guy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Although the tubing is very stiff the longer piece you use the more support you'll need to keep it steady. That said they should look awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Status update:

I have the adjustable bracket plates designed and ready to get price estimates and the prototypes built. These brackets will have a lot of adjustably so you can do a lot with them. The base plate is 5.5" x 10.75" and will be held down with 4 to 6 8" landscape spikes that you can pick up at HomeDepot, Lowes or any large hardware store. I won't have a price for them until next week but I can tell you the 6 of them will fit into a USPS medium flat rate box so they will cost about $13 to ship.

I will be putting together a complete kit of parts for the arch, less the tubing, for a waterproof arch. If assembled correctly the arches would be IP68 rated. The kit for 4 arches should fit into a USPS medium box. I'm guessing that it will take about an hour or so to build each arch from the kit. There will be two versions of the kit, one for a 2.5" lighted length arch that will come complete with a WS28111 60 LED/20 Pixel 12V strip and 4 pin Sandevice compatible connectors and another less the strip so you can use another strip type. A 2.5 meter lighted length will make an arch that's between 5 and 7 feet wide and 2 to almost 3 feet high.

I will also make a fully assembled 2.5 meter, lighted length, arches also based on the WS2811 12V strip. It will ship in large flat box that's around 3 to 4 foot square by 2.5" think and will be UPS shippable. The shipping cost will be between $30 to $50 an arch from the West coast to the East coast and shipping to other locations will vary.

For all of the above I'll have power injectors available which would be needed about every 2 arches.

Once I find how long it will take to get the brackets I'll post prices and delivery times for the different versions in the Vendor forum.

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    A 2.5 meter lighted length will make an arch that's between 5 and 7 feet wide and 2 to almost 3 feet high.
    John:

I guess I missed the part where you were going to make this a business. Good for you.

A six-foot wide, 2-1/2-foot tall arch is going to be just too large for my yard. I'd actually need them almost precisely half that size -- three feet by 18-20 inches.

Would your brackets work that way?

Thanks.

\dmc
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since I need brackets for my display I figured I might as well make them available to others especially as the arches get larger. The waterproofing was tricky to work out so once I did again I figured why not make it available.

The brackets need 4 to 5" on each end of the arch that will not be lighted. The takeoff angle will determine if the arch looks like a half circle or more arch shaped. For a 36" wide 18" tall 1/2 circle arch the lighted length would be about 56". If you're using the 60/20 strip that would be a 28 segment arch. The problem with that length is wasting part of the strip. If you go with a 1.25 meter arch then the lighted length would be about 50" for a 1/2 circle and the width would be about 32" which is really tight.

The only worry I would have, which is the same I have for shipping, is bending the tubing that tightly. I know that you can get it down to 4' but 3' will be interesting.

Using 1/3 of a strip less one pixel would give you a lighted length of 65", 33 pixels, would give a width of 42 and a height of 21 for a 1/2 circle arch. That width should be bendable without any major issues. If you can live with the extra 7" that would work much better.

I need to pick up mine but until them maybe one of those that have some of the tubing could comment on how tight they have bent it without kinking.

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    Using 1/3 of a strip less one pixel would give you a lighted length of 65", 33 pixels, would give a width of 42 and a height of 21 for a 1/2 circle arch. That width should be bendable without any major issues. If you can live with the extra 7" that would work much better.
    Yeah, I think that would work (would have five arches running up the driveway instead of six) ...

Thanks.

\dmc
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Timon:
    Why did you go from PEX to HDPE? I have found HDPE in my home town, but I think it is quite a bit more expensive than the PEX. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast