Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoyed Neighbor....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Annoyed Neighbor....

So I have a neighbor across the street who seems to be annoyed with my lights. I do still have some stuff out, but its tasteful and seasonal. All that's left out at this point are my GECE pixels lining the driveway. They're just on a static pattern of blues and white for a nice winter scene. I had them on red and white for valentines day last week.
    When I was out snowblowing the driveway this afternoon, he was shouting some sarcastic comments about the lights, and shortly after it got dark, a nice led spotlight started shining out his front window directly into my front window. We're in a suburban neighborhood with large lots, no sidewalks or street lights and such. It's quite literally 200' from his front window to mine. The funny thing about his spotlight is that I'm jealous of it! It's a nice tight LED spot at throws a nice bright 10' wide beam at the 200' distance. I was actually looking for lights like that this fall.
    He and I are generally on good terms. I've only been here for 2 years now, he's a neighborhood fixture. I'm the young guy in his first house with a young family. He's a retired cop with just him and his wife at home. I can't imagine my hobby is any more annoying than his garage motorcycle repair business.
    So what would you do in a situation like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Annoyed Neighbor....

Ask him where you can buy a spotlight like his

Post Thanks / Like

mirrors work wonderful
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

Don't beat around the bush, go ask him how he likes the light show. Ask why he thought it was a good idea to shine a spot light in your window.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

And if he says its obnoxious?

Post Thanks / Like

See if there are any particular elements that bother him and take suggestions on how they could be relocated or timed differently to minimize the impact on him (shut off after certain times?). Maybe explain how you plan to use your lights year round for seasonal "tasteful" lighting like some people use other yard lights for decorating. Please do ask him where he got his light and tell us- it sounds fantastic...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm just getting started with blinky. This was my first year with anything other than static. I didn't even do any real sequencing. Just some chasing patterns on the pixel borders. Only 2723 lights this year. My preorder for next season will more than double that.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he is ok with them for Christmas and other holidays. Sounds like you have something on every night. Try cutting them off except when you are doing a show and see if that will help settle things down for you.
    Doug

Having Fun with Wire Frames and Lights.

www.wireframedlites.com
    Custom Hand Made In USA

FaceBook:
    http://www.facebook.com/wireframedlites

Phillips Family Display
    http://www.facebook.com/phillipsfamilydisplay

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do have them on every night. But they're just along the ground and they're not doing anything. At this point there are no shows. They're more like landscape lighting than anything else. I'm in a mixed neighborhood with many estate type homes that are lit with HID floods in the lawn pointing at the house and permanent bollards lining the driveways. Even with my lights I'm still quite a bit darker than many. Mine kinda serve a purpose of lining the driveway so I can see it at this time of year. I don't really want to turn them off.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'd approach him and explain that and ask what his objections are. Speculation/assumptions never work.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast