Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to cover your yard in fake snow that looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to cover your yard in fake snow that looks good.

I found a good low cost material to make your yard look like it's covered with snow.

The material comes from the Upholstery Supply stores. Its Polyester LowMelt Fiber 3/4 Oz wrap, sometimes called Kodel Rolls, use as a cover on upholstery. It comes in 30", 54" and 72" wide 30 yard rolls. In my area the cost is around $30 for 30", $54 for 54" and yes you guessed it $72 for 72".

Basically you mark where all of your props will be located, run all of the wires, lay down the fake snow, you stake it down with cut white coat hangers bent into a "U", covering all of the wires and then connect all of the props. That way they props are on top of the snow. When you place props or stake it down the material looks like the snow has melted around them. It's a cool look.

Don't worry about water, in fact water makes this look even better. The polyester holds some of the water which refracts the light making it look like fresh fallen snow. Again giving it a cool look. So let your sprinklers do their job.

Don't worry about the grass as enough light will get through. People in my area use this and the grass is in good shape when it's all removed.

This is a yearly expense since it's not worth trying to save it for the next season, just toss it in the recycle bin.

Here are some pictures from some displays near by. I think they look great even though they didn't hid the wires as well as they could have.

2. Likes celtman123 liked this post
    where the cold crisp winter weather winds nip at your noses and freezes your toe's es
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to cover your yard in fake snow that looks good.

How to cover your yard in fake snow that looks good
    no need for worries about fake snow around here ... but , hey ... VERY good ( make that EXCELLENT idea ! ) and looks GREAT in the pics as well !
    The reason that [COLOR=#ff0000]Santa [/COLOR] is always [COLOR=#0000ff]happy[/COLOR], is because he knows where all the [I][COLOR=#ff0000]naughty [/COLOR][/I] girls live!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like your display. Thanks for the snow tip it really looks cool. I just may incorporate that for this year.

John

Post Thanks / Like

OOOO I wish I could use fake snow here,the real stuff is such a pain in the the back.

Great Idea.
    " Hot glue is your friend "

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like them but there not mine. They're located about a half mile from me. That we're I found out how to do the for 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually took a few pics as I was removing my snow to show how the grass looked. First year I've done this so I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to find 120" rolls in the garment district in LA for about $80. And IIRC, they were 45 yards? I found this useful when searching for batting: http://www.villagequiltworks.com/ima...ttingChart.pdf
    I looked for the thickest stuff I could find. There was cheaper stuff, but it was thinner. I can't remember the exact place but it was someehere in this vicinity: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=garme...22.67,,3,11.27

There were a ton of places that carried similar stuff. Walk around and find what works for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by n8huntsman; 02-09-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    5 houses using:
    Renard 64, 3 Ren24's, Ren8
    4 E682 pixel controllers
    2,300 WS2801 pixel nodes
    1200 dumb RGB
    Sequenced using LSP 2.5

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic look, guys. Well done!
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

If it's cold enough, you can make real snow by merging the output of a pressure washer and an air compressor:

How to make it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mdDbt_1Vc

In operation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOYtjfxA7nw

Not my videos.

A friend of mine cobbled together an all-in-one machine that has an air compressor head and a power washer head, both driven by a trio of V-belts from an 18-20 HP horizontal engine he got off some kind of dead yard machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Pagoda Picture.jpgDepending on the conditions you can get a couple years out of it. The lower positions on this pagoda get dirty faster so they get moved to the roof after the first year. After 3 years it is worthless though.
    It does give a neat effect when lights are under it also.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Tell us more about the pagoda, it looks cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast