Thanks. I'll give this a try and let you know if I get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by isotope View Post
Sorry for the late response; this is a spare time project for me.

No fully-baked sketch, but probably the easiest way to get started is with ESPEasy firmware
The IR releases (e.g. ESP_Easy_mega-20190607_normal_IR_ESP8266_4M.bin) contain all the known remote codes from the IRremoteESP8266 library for both receive and transmit. You can send the commands through the web, MQTT, serial, and other interfaces, (e.g. IRSEND,MWM,910E005F). Just flash the firmware, set it up, and go. I haven't had good luck decoding messages on an actual ESP8266, I think because it's just a bit too slow. It picks up either the leading or trailing message in the burst of three that the MWM devices actually send, not the important middle one. If I run the same code on a computer-based receiver, it decodes all three fine, so I'm reasonably confident in the protocol implementation that I wrote Transmit seems to work fine, at least, and I suspect that's the part most people are interested in.

You could also pull in the IRremoteESP8266 library directly from the Arduino IDE and roll your own firmware, or base it on that library's example MQTT IR server. I'd be curious to know if this approach does better at decoding since you could make a much tighter firmware by omitting all the other devices supported by ESPEasy.