Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Something I bring up every year, also bring up in the online google group.
    We should attempt to isolate those things that are windows specific and eliminate them.
    We should try to get this software to work with Mono http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
    This would be nice for Vixen to cross over to Linux users and possibly even Mac users.

Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

A zoom on the sound analyzer! I found that helpful in vixen 2x.
    The preview would be nice if it could pop up when you start a sequence.
    The grid, mainly for turning on an individual channel quickly (highlight the cell press space its on press space again its back off). I love the drag and drop with all the new features but in an attempt to make turning on a lot of channels at once easy, we lost the ability to turn one on and off quickly.
    Keep in mind though that I have not played with vixen 3 as much as some so at the moment I have limited time in trying to sequence with it yet, still getting through the initial setup. I'm leaving my display up for a while just for vixen 3 testing.

Thanks for starting this thread. It really shows your willing to listen to input. Regardless of how the final software ends up I know I plan to be a vixen user for years to come!
    [B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    In terms of future plugins, I know Joe Hinkle was working on a papagayo type clone for mouth movements for use in HLS. Would love to see this in vixen in the future.
    See its happening already.
    You know we are just going to play both ends against the middle.
    Good luck. We already know Joe does not sleep, and he may not even eat.

Anything that Vixen/HLS has is going to be requested for Vixen/HLS

Sorry but I had to defect last year.
    My 2500 channel show barely ran in 2011 and I knew it stood 0% chance for 2012 after adding another 2000 channels.
    Vixen 3 was officially still beta and with no sequences by mid October I had to go with HLS.

I stopped watching the Vixen threads about that time, so I have no idea how much progress was made.
    Probably should go back and read all the threads, but I probably will not.

It might be nice to have a welcome to/back to Vixen recap thread that highlights all the features of Vixen 3.
    now that the dust has settled.

Maybe someone that is more experienced could make a video of how to get started setting up and building a sequence.

This may already be out there and I do not know it.
    This year was one of those years, I had to block out everything except what was needed to get my show running.

Joel
    Lets get serious, I have over 10,000 channels on my back, just where do you want to start counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Well - - there is the basic question here (i.e. the 800 pound gorilla in the room...) - - do we *need* Vixen 3 (or - do we *need* HLS?). Yep - - harsh question but just putting it out there... Basically what is so different between Vixen 3 and HLS that makes you pick one or the other (disregarding the beta status of Vixen 3 for the moment). Can/Should resources be combined as mentioned previously? Choice is good of course but then again sometimes 1+1 can be made to equal 3 here as well if you catch my drift... Since there is so little carryover from Vixen 2 to Vixen 3 you are starting over anyway so why not move to HLS (again - just a question to ask here - not promoting either case...). Take any unique feature of Vixen 3 there may be and Joe may be arm-twisted to support it in HLS if given reason enough. Anyway - just throwing it out there for discussion - not trying to start any wars/fights...

I do agree that it would be nice to support Mac/Linux as well - I have no intention of using them but there are lots of folks out there that just hate Windows...
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Well - - there is the basic question here (i.e. the 800 pound gorilla in the room...) - - do we *need* Vixen 3 (or - do we *need* HLS?). Yep - - harsh question but just putting it out there... Basically what is so different between Vixen 3 and HLS that makes you pick one or the other (disregarding the beta status of Vixen 3 for the moment). Can/Should resources be combined as mentioned previously? Choice is good of course but then again sometimes 1+1 can be made to equal 3 here as well if you catch my drift... Since there is so little carryover from Vixen 2 to Vixen 3 you are starting over anyway so why not move to HLS (again - just a question to ask here - not promoting either case...). Take any unique feature of Vixen 3 there may be and Joe may be arm-twisted to support it in HLS if given reason enough. Anyway - just throwing it out there for discussion - not trying to start any wars/fights...

I do agree that it would be nice to support Mac/Linux as well - I have no intention of using them but there are lots of folks out there that just hate Windows...
    Not a harsh question at all. My answer, yes, we need both. There are people who love HLS, there are people who hate HLS. There are people who love Windows, and there are people who hate Windows. If we try to please everyone with one piece of software, we WILL fail. Choice is good, choice is healthy.

-- John

Post Thanks / Like

I have played with both HLS & Vixen 3 but ran my 2012 show using xlights to play v2.5 sequences.

the HLS visuliser and sequencing tools are much more advanced in their development and can handle groups of channels better but I prefer the way that you create your channels in V3 external to an actual sequence, also the way you can collapse and expand channels I'm V3 seems better to me.

While I like the grid I guess I could learn to not need it, and even though I have plenty of v2 sequences l don't want to import any, time to start from scratch and freshen things up.
    Similar to what others have said, I need a visualiser like HLS, the ability to Chase at a group level, the ability to chase a colour fade across an RGB string and some basic effects like twinkle etc.

Keep up the great work people.

Jon

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Well - - there is the basic question here (i.e. the 800 pound gorilla in the room...) - - do we *need* Vixen 3 (or - do we *need* HLS?)....
    I honesly was antcipating on staying vixen 2.1 for quite some time.
    4600 ch @ 16 universes this season were flawless, maybe up to ~6000 for 2013 and beyond, I just dont see a need.

my comments here -
    Its been over 12 months since i looked at Vixen 3, and very briefly at that, and here is what freaked me out mostly.

1-Lack of the "control freak blocks" or manual timing. Not sure how I would get my nucrackers in there or paste some of my old cool stuff.
    2-The groupings, or not understanding how the channels "lined up" in order of output, seemed too easy for me to get them all mixed up and never sort it out.
    3-No way to import current 2.1 sequences that I worked all my long blinky flashy life on, (all 13 months worth at the time).
    4- I didint actually try it but dont think you can just copy a single directory from machine to machine in 3.0.

oh yeah and +1 on the linux wish. I'm converting boxes daily.
    [COLOR="#4576FF"]
    Care Instructions: Never leave light set unattended while plugged in[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 2 cents (I am a new user to blinky as a whole):
    Vixen 2.1 may have "worked", but I can see major places where productivity could be gained.
    HLS looks good in some of the areas of productivity gains, but has some "look/feel" things that drive me crazy.
    Vixen 3 looks like the place to be from a productivity area once it gets understood.

Heres what I mean:
    In vixen 3: create 8 sets of lights (say small trees). Group them into a group. Drop a twinkle or chase onto the group and BOOM instant chase. No dragging across multiple channels - its ONE easy thing you can move, copy and adjust. VERY COOL.

Right now that has me convince to move to Vix3 (I was planning on doing my first year on HLS). Here is the BIG caveat and key in my mind. HLS grew to be a player due to frequent updates, responsiveness, and good communication. It "feels" like Vix3 is going on that path. I hope it stays that way.

(and you'll start to see me in the bug space... I've already created 2 item in your tracker!). I'm in software development so I will do my parts to help. (Oh, and I'd love it to be Mac native, but I understand - so at the moment its running pretty darn good for me on Win7 via parallels!)

Post Thanks / Like

I love that the new editor avoids the grid and fixed timing concept. That being said, being able to easily place marks (vertical lines) and having the ability to snap to those marks and step thru them would be greatly useful.
    +1 on the request to chase whole intermediate units of a nested group.(ie trees, tree, string, pixel)
    Audio filters for HP LP BP to help visually isolate parts of the audio.
    More options on chases, such as start at one color, chase fade to end in another color. (We talked about this a few months ago)
    Marquee chases. (Think movie theater facade) Have a repeating pattern chase down a string, with fade capability as well.
    New & different patch editor. I'm not convinced its practical to do it graphically. I think a spreadsheet or data gris view might be more practical. I know even with only one fully loaded 681 that its painful to patch. A simple 1st step would be the ability to move all three block types rather than just the filters. A 2nd step would be to not require a whole selection of input or output channels but rather just the starting input and then ask a number of channels for the input. It should be able to calculate the required outputs automatically.
    I also think dimming curves could be relegated to the channel parameters rather than in the patch editor. Along with that it'd be nice to set the parameter once and then fill down the group to all like channels.
    Seperate the visualizer from the app. It'd be very nice to have a completely different app, that can run on another machine, that takes all of its input over the network. Many of us are making the move to all e131 anyhow and this is a natural progression. Even for those of us not completely e131 there's nothing that says a channel can't be simultaneously patched to two different output devices, one for the real connected output hardware, one e131 for the visualizer.
    There's probably more but these would get me rocking strong for next year!

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The one feature I love in LSP is the ability to take pictures/videos and "project" them onto my pixels. For example, for a pixel mega tree. Basically, taking into account the location of the pixels within a grid. This would also be useful for scrolling text.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast