Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

I understand but there are times when you to display more than the pixels and light size doesn't help such as my mini tree case. 5 dots on the screen doesn't give a feel for the decorations. That's if you can even find them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    I understand but there are times when you to display more than the pixels and light size doesn't help such as my mini tree case. 5 dots on the screen doesn't give a feel for the decorations. That's if you can even find them.

Yes of course.. that makes sense as well... For mini trees in my display preview, I used the rectangle smart object, some use the net object, and formed them into the shape of a cone.. (I'm using the HolidayCoro mini trees in my display), Many users have found that reutilizing these different elements works for them.

But using an individual element for each of the R-G-B values is not how we intended the preview to be utilized. (it adds 3x as much work and doesnt mix colors very well)... Thats all I was trying to show, so that you had more time sequencing and didnt try to add any unnecessary items to V3.. Unlike V2 and other sequencers, pixels should only have one Element (light) in the sequencer, not 3... Only when you map it out to the controller are the RGB elements split out from the pixel 'Element'. That way, you can assign the element to be any color you want, and V3 will change the RGB values accordingly, so you dont have to worry about that.

If you would give me a scenario, I can create another video showing how to create the elements, and preview objects in as few steps as possible, while retaining as much functionality as possible as well. It might help to simplify how you are doing things and give you more time to sequence songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Last try, not 3 lights (RGB) But 3 lights (pixel1,pixel1,pixel1)

Post Thanks / Like

I hear what you're saying. I use pixel strip where three LEDs make up each pixel. When I set mine up I just use the number of pixels as the number of lights in the preview. I don't see a practical reason for it to show it as 3 separate points of light in the preview screen. After all it's only a preview. It's not made to be a 100% representation of every little detail.

I can see cases where it might be more practical such as if you're using a controller's grouping feature to combine physical pixels into logical pixels where there's some significant physical space occupied by the group.

You can certainly create a feature support ticket for this. But I would t be surprised if it's fairly low priority.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Over the past 2 months, I wrote down everything that I could think of that would be useful additions into V3. I know some of these have been mentioned in one form or another, but I'm going to include them anyway as it's in my list. The items in quotes are from my list, I have elaborated on them a bit.

My Vixen 3 “Wish List”:

• Add “Multicolor” to the discrete colors options. I have quite a number of “Multicolor” strands that just don’t happen to be any one specific color.
    o Having the ability for them to be their own “color” is an option that I’d like to have.
    My multicolor strands are a holdover from the older days. I'm slowly replacing them through the years with solid colors for more effects, but the bottom line is that I still have them. I used "grey" last year to represent them (RGB values of 127, instead of 255 for white). The problem with this is that V3 will turn them on if you select the discrete color of "white". Not a good solution, but worked OK for me.

• Ability to have a way to easily export updated information from a “sequencing” computer to a “show computer”.
    o Uploading them over a web interface would be a big help. My show computer is headless and I’m sure others are in this same category.
    This is something that came to mind when I kept adding changes into my sequences. There was no single step process of getting them on the show computer. Having the ability to upload changed sequences to the show PC easily would be useful for anyone that runs two separate computers. Most have used a remote desktop tool or a program such as Dropbox to pull this off, but something supported by the program to do this might be widely accepted. As for the web server, if V3 already has one... why not make use of it?

• Pre-rendering of the show.
    o Rendering can delay the start of the show quite a bit.
    o Options for rendering full shows or just “early rendering” would both be decent. One would generate a full output file for the show, and the other just renders the files needed for the show that happens to start in X amount of minutes.
    I see that this has been discussed in length. I too had an issue with the rendering, but worked around it. Just wanted to drop the idea of "early rendering" as an option as I have not seen that ever listed as an option.

• OSC plugin for advanced interactive effects with other software
    If you saw my post in the lengthy projection mapping thread, I used a software called "VPT" this year for my show. I used a third party software called Open Lighting Architecture to route E1.31 commands to basic OSC commands. Getting Vixen 3 to support OSC would simplify my setup and allow the software to interact with a whole new host of other programs. Think of the possibilities.

• Object based controller outputs.
    o I have multiple renards on one output and if I add a 24 in place off a 16 I have to reconfigure the rest of the downstream instead of just that one box.
    This was the one that I really could have used. There is no real way to reorganize channels in an output that I found. Swapping out a renard 16 with a renard 24 was a challenge, as all the downstream channels had to be re-arranged. If for every controller output, would it be possible to group them and have them nested similar to the actual elements? This would allow someone to simply re-arrange the outputs in the event they reconfigured the daisy chain pattern.

• Support for more hardware
    o Moving head lights
    o Fog machines
    o Other DMX equipment that aren't dimmers
    I know we have the custom value element to sequence with, but it would be nice to have more parameters to use for frequently used parameters in DMX units such as range of movement (moving heads and mirrors), gobo selection (variety of lights), frequency (fog machines, strobes), shutters, and color wheels. With these, we should be able to incorporate a variety of commercial (or even DIY!) DMX fixtures.

As I said, some have been mentioned, others are just off-the-wall thinking that I had this past December.
    2011:

5,000 lights; 48 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned for customizable effects. That should accomplish what you're looking for. The idea is you can create an effect to do exactly what you want and save it to a library so you can quickly reuse it.
    Building preconfigured fixture profiles is probably not going to happen in vixen. There's just not enough people using pro fixtures to create the demand. And there's too many pro and semi pro fixtures out there that it'd be a mammoth effort. So the build your own effect should be a reasonable compromise.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

It would be useful to be able to have more than one preview window.
    For example, the standard way to view a show is from the front, but I would also like to be able to see a second concurrent preview which is the view of my house from the road behind it. Some items can be seen from both directions (stuff up on the roof), but each direction also has unique items which can only be seen from that direction. It would be good to preview them together.

Post Thanks / Like

You already can have more than one preview. You just add another one in the preview setup. Is that not working properly for you?

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

I think for many of us, the output was the tough hurdle to overcome this year, and the stress it put on the CPU to run XXXX number of pixels. I would like to see support for the standalone players (Falcon PiPlayer, DLA Conducter, etc). This would take the CPU element out of the equation for many people if the output of the file could be read by these players and drive their shows. I used the Conductor last year with V3 and loved it. Could never figure out how to get to above 4096 channels so I redid part of my show, but it was rock solid on both hardware/software. I'd like to see the ability to go direction from V3 to output file.

Only other option that I've heard would be greatly appreciated would be some kind of papagayo plugin.

I love the software and I couldn't have had the "game changing" show that I had in 2013 without V3.

Thanks! Duane

Post Thanks / Like

It may have already been mentioned: Linux/MAC versions
    a specific Arduino plugin so that non-Uno users won't have to use a serial/USB adapter
    a way to reverse output values for anyone using a SainSmart relay board

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast