Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by harpster View Post
    I've only used Vixen 2 so based on that I'd like to see the following Vixen improvements:

5. Redesign the program manager... Man that thing is frustrating.
    Frustrating how? Not disagreeing, just more curious.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#FF0000][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][HR][/HR][COLOR=#990000][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana]
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana] Seattle, WA | [url]www.greenlakechristmas.com[/url][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Harpster,

Go to the thread below. This update to the previewer detaches the previewer window from the Vixen 2.1 window and allows you to place it on your second screen.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...hlight=preview
    [COLOR=#008000]2016 - 5th. year - Over 18,000 channels E1.31 including 350 Channels Renard, Video Projection - XL/NC - On Falcon Player, up to four megatrees.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]2017 - 6th. year - Moved display to a public park, Over 45,000 E1.31 channels, down to 100 Channels of serial Renard - XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.[/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]
    2018 - 7th, year - Still at Shawnee Park, over 52,000 E1.31 channels, down to 96 channels of Renard - [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/COLOR]
    Randy: X[URL="http://www.xenialights.com/"]enialights[/URL] on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/XeniaLights/420036314711206"]Facebook[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Video support. Just the straight-foward play video on a marker kind of thing.

More interoperatibility with other programs. I really liked the web interface in Vixen 2.x, but it was somewhat clunky at times. Something as simple as the launcher plugin from Vixen 2.x to run external programs, and even better, a way to trigger programs and sequences externally with the use of batch files or similar.

I haven't touched Vixen 3 yet, but in Vixen 2.x when you need to change the output order of channels, it can be a hassle with anything over 150 channels. A single list for that will no longer work when you start talking about multiple universes. I'm guessing that the setup of ouputs on Vixen 3 has already solved this one.
    2011:

5,000 lights; 48 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

I just started looking at Vixen 3.0 yesterday and I haven't done much in version 2 since I just found this place last month. I'm getting ready for next year.

The one thing I noticed is there is no way to specifically set the start time and end time or duration of an effect. All you can do is drag the effect to a start point and drag the end for the duration. It would be nice to have the start time and duration in the edit effects window.

Just to let you know I test software for a living and have been doing it for the last 17 years. If you want specific help in the testing just let me know.

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frogman94 View Post
    The one thing I noticed is there is no way to specifically set the start time and end time or duration of an effect. All you can do is drag the effect to a start point and drag the end for the duration. It would be nice to have the start time and duration in the edit effects window.
    Yes, I will just do a "what he said". It would be nice to be able to slap down a begin and end , or begin and duration real quick. Right click, get a little window , fill in an absolute begin and absolute end , or +X where X would be a duration type thing.

Noticed that while playing with 3.
    Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am thinking on it , I realize that this software was modular, so it may be handy to have a "old vixen" editor added in.
    I like the new way of doing things but I think sometimes the grid was useful to.
    Again , I had a sort of aversion to the new way, being that I used the old style so much.
    Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Im totally new to the whole thing (Just now getting around 2.1.1.0). But a couple of things I would like to see (very minor and shouldnt be at the top of the list, or maybe I have overlooked them) are...

(1) "supported file types in open menus" i.e. When you go to associate audio, in the open screen at bottom right its set to "all files (*.*)" and theres no selection for *.mp3, *.wav..Its sometimes hard for me to "sift" through all my other junk to find what I need...yeah partly my fault lol...

(2) A hi/lo filter for audio to show the different spikes of certain frequencies on the "scope"...nice to have to find beats of different instruments.. I found it handy in the little bit Ive messed with HLS.

And a big thanks to you and KC for all that you do!!

Trav

P.S. I noticed on the Vixen Admin. screen that you all are looking for a new logo. Are there any requirements? Does the icon of the reindeer need to stay or a totally new icon? Colors, size?
    Last edited by FrostByte25; 01-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MichaelC - - ensure you have Vixen 2.1/2.5 parity (unless it makes no sense to do so) - support for the outputs should not be left as an "yeah that needs to be done too..." kind of thing - they need an owner and support.

Keep a close eye on cut/paste operations wrt to boundaries and memory usage, etc - I can crash Vixen 2.1 quite easily with some operations - yes - my fault - like pasting a selection of 100 cells into a cell where there are < 100 cells left - but it surely should not crash. Also saving clipboards like LOR supports is a nice feature.

Keep in touch with the xLights and Nutcracker developers (maybe HLS as well) - - ensure there is interoperability with these utilities/sequencers. An import from Vixen 2.x and LOR is essential to me... It would be great if everyone came up with a standard previewer for ALL sequencers - this has been suggested in a couple threads.

I was really blown away when Vixen 3 first came out - I love the idea of making a set of lights an object and so on - but then with very scarce updates and iffy at best support for the outputs it completely fell off my radar screen and I stuck with LOR for 2012.
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, I too stayed with Vixen 2.1 for 2012 but I did convert all my sequences to HLS to 'play'. After my final show on Sunday, I loaded up HLS and ran the show using that. It was my only way to 'see' the show in HLS since I have not gotten that preview working yet. Most of the sequences ported successfully (after I changed the vixen time period to 50ms). The only errors I got where where I converted to some RGB channels and vixen had both colors active in the same time slice. HLS definitely didn't handle those pieces well. With my display down now, unless I take the time to build an HLS preview, I can't really 'see' my lights.

The question comes down to whether I want to spend time building an HLS preview or a Vixen 3 preview. I'm absolutely torn right now.
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of future plugins, I know Joe Hinkle was working on a papagayo type clone for mouth movements for use in HLS. Would love to see this in vixen in the future.
    [COLOR=#008000]2016 - 5th. year - Over 18,000 channels E1.31 including 350 Channels Renard, Video Projection - XL/NC - On Falcon Player, up to four megatrees.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]2017 - 6th. year - Moved display to a public park, Over 45,000 E1.31 channels, down to 100 Channels of serial Renard - XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.[/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]
    2018 - 7th, year - Still at Shawnee Park, over 52,000 E1.31 channels, down to 96 channels of Renard - [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/COLOR]
    Randy: X[URL="http://www.xenialights.com/"]enialights[/URL] on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/XeniaLights/420036314711206"]Facebook[/URL]

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast