Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro to Module Development, and the Dev mailing list

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intro to Module Development, and the Dev mailing list

I'm in the process of trying to make Vixen 3 more accessible to everyone -- this includes users and any developers that are keen on helping out. There's lots to do, and it's a big project that can use help from anyone -- testing, documentation, writing code, coming up with ideas and fleshing them out -- so if you'd like to help out, we'd love to have you!

Developer Documentation

As part of that, I'm planning on putting together a bit of a crash-course on module development, and information that people might need to get started. It's a huge, daunting task, and I have no idea where to start.... so I'm wondering if I can ask you, as a developer (or any other sort of helper) what information you want to see? Where can I start? What do you want to know?

We're starting up a wiki to put information into, so I'll hopefully be able to put a lot of it up there. If you can let me know what you want, I'd be happy to oblige!

Developer discussion group & email list

Also, for the last year or two we were using a google group as an email list for developers to discuss things, bounce ideas around, etc. I'm trying to get it going again, since I'm finding that I'm replying to a lot of PMs and private emails -- and if there's a chance that sharing with one person can help others, then it's worth doing so.

You can find the VixenDev google group here. (At least, I hope that's the right link! Let me know if there's problems signing up). If you sign in with a google account, you should be able to request membership to the group, and I'll approve them ASAP. Then, it's a handy email list which we can use for discussion, help, and collaboration.

The group isn't intended for coding discussion only -- hopefully we can get testers, documenters, etc. in there as well. (sure, 80% is probably going to be software/code talk, but hopefully there's other stuff that's useful as well.) I want it to be for anyone that is interested in the 'behind the scenes' of Vixen.

Where to get the code

The modules repository (which is 90% of the functionality in Vixen) is open source on Github. The repository can be found here:

https://github.com/sall/vixen

I know some of you might not be used to Git as source code management, or GitHub specifically, so I'll try to write up some documentation about how to get the code, how to get it working, how to commit stuff and merge in changes, etc. (Or if someone else wants to volunteer, that would be great too!) If you're new to Git, I'd strongly recommend getting TortoiseGit to help manage it; I use it, and it's fantastic.

--

Thanks for any help you're able to provide! Looking forward to your help in making Vixen a fantastic product that people can do _really cool stuff_ with! :-)
    Last edited by sallz0r; 11-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

2. Likes davrus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Intro to Module Development, and the Dev mailing list

1) A high level architectural diagram,
    2) A well documented API,
    3) A module template for each plugin type.

these would be a great start.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure exactly how I can help but I like Vixen2.x.x and wanting to try pixels for 2013.
    As some know here Iam just a heating contractor and my computer expertise is very limited.

I was thinking possibly I could help from a dumbed down point of view if you know what I mean.

User friendly and simple is important to me as well as others Iam sure.

So if there is anything I can do I'm on board to help.

Just excited to see this going forward again.
    " Hot glue is your friend "

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Its kinda silly but I have been trying to get into this code, and now since you moved to Git I am less able.
    I just don't have my head around it. I don't see how it is "better" than SVN.
    I would like to get back into introductory development of plug ins
    Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Traneman View Post
    Not sure exactly how I can help but I like Vixen2.x.x and wanting to try pixels for 2013.
    As some know here Iam just a heating contractor and my computer expertise is very limited.

I was thinking possibly I could help from a dumbed down point of view if you know what I mean.

User friendly and simple is important to me as well as others Iam sure.

So if there is anything I can do I'm on board to help.

Just excited to see this going forward again.
    You sound perfect for usability testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Marchini View Post
    Its kinda silly but I have been trying to get into this code, and now since you moved to Git I am less able.
    I just don't have my head around it. I don't see how it is "better" than SVN.
    I would like to get back into introductory development of plug ins
    Tony M.
    If you use svn, it does take a moment to wrap your head around Git, but it is better in one respect that I have come to love. Disconnected repositories. I can check out a repo on my laptop, go somewhere that may or may not have internet connectivity, work on my code, make frequent commits locally, then sync them back up without hassle.

If you've used Tortoise SVN, get Tortoise Git, that has helped me a LOT. Feel free to start a new thread in this sub-forum, and I'll try my best to answer them.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've set up the group as public (or semi public -- you have to request to join, I think?), you can find the VixenDev google group here.

Let me know if it doesn't work of if there's any problems!

Post Thanks / Like

Tortise get vs windows.github.com? I know most developers may like tortise, but it seems to me that since github has their own built local sync, it would be easier. I'm a dev and it seems more "user friendly" for me?? I used it to create a git account and sync the vixen code down in just a couple of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphageek View Post
    Tortise get vs windows.github.com? I know most developers may like tortise, but it seems to me that since github has their own built local sync, it would be easier. I'm a dev and it seems more "user friendly" for me?? I used it to create a git account and sync the vixen code down in just a couple of minutes.
    Oh, sure -- whatever works for you. I didn't know of that interface at the time, plus I'd been using TortoiseSVN, so it was a natural progression. But that's another option. If you think it's a good fit and works well, and feel like helping out documentation, you could always write up a quick tutorial on how to use it with screenshots and stuff -- how to for the repo, get the code, make changes, push them back, merge others changes in, etc. I know we have developers that aren't familiar with Git at all, so I'm sure that would be handy for people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sallz0r View Post
    Oh, sure -- whatever works for you. I didn't know of that interface at the time, plus I'd been using TortoiseSVN, so it was a natural progression. But that's another option. If you think it's a good fit and works well, and feel like helping out documentation, you could always write up a quick tutorial on how to use it with screenshots and stuff -- how to for the repo, get the code, make changes, push them back, merge others changes in, etc. I know we have developers that aren't familiar with Git at all, so I'm sure that would be handy for people.
    I'd be happy to.... As soon as I can figure it out for myself!!! Part of my problem is I don't want to mislead others with bad info and since I'm not a c# coder I am starting by using express edition, which appears to have its own challenges just compiling what's there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast