Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triac soldering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Triac soldering

If you plan to use a heatsink on the triacs, then keeping them straight and inline is important. I have this little trick to help do this. I have built over 70 ssr boards with this method, and it works great.

First, you need two straight edges, some masking tape, and a tape measure.

Take the two straight egdes and set them parallel with each other. The distance between them depends on the board you have, but for the SSR 2.4, it is 1 13/16"

Tape them down to the work surface making sure that the board will fit in a way that is comfortable to solder the triacs.

Put the triacs in the pcb, flip it over into the fixture and push the triacs against the straight edge and then let the pcb slide back to the other straightedge. Then go through and solder the middle pin of the triacs first. Finish soldering them and VOLIA .... nice striaght and in line triacs.

(click for full size)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Triac soldering

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    If you plan to use a heatsink on the triacs, then keeping them straight and inline is important. I have this little trick to help do this. I have built over 70 ssr boards with this method, and it works great.

First, you need two straight edges, some masking tape, and a tape measure.

Take the two straight egdes and set them parallel with each other. The distance between them depends on the board you have, but for the SSR 2.4, it is 1 13/16"

Tape them down to the work surface making sure that the board will fit in a way that is comfortable to solder the triacs.

Put the triacs in the pcb, flip it over into the fixture and push the triacs against the straight edge and then let the pcb slide back to the other straightedge. Then go through and solder the middle pin of the triacs first. Finish soldering them and VOLIA .... nice striaght and in line triacs.

(click for full size)
    Absolute genius!
    "A polar bear is just a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform"
    [img]http://www.christmasinshirley.com/forum/files/grinch64_128.jpg[/img][img]http://www.christmasinshirley.com/forum/files/vixenlogosm_202.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

ditto with the GENIUS!
    2012:
    Software: LightFactory Personal
    Hardware: J1Sys Pixel controllers . [url]Http://www.j1sys.com[/url]
    Lights: 6000+ Pixels and 20k+ LEDs
    Channels: around 20,000 channels

You know where to find me....

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect timing as I begin my SSR soldering. Too bad i didn't know this earlier today, my first one isn't exactly very straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Might it be possible, if you knew the measurements, to mount them to the heat sink first, and then solder them?

Post Thanks / Like

I just attach the heat sink to them ahead of time. I have one heat sink made just for a templete. I have done this for the R24's and SSR's. Place all the triacs in the pcb then install the heat sink. Flip the board over, adjust as needed and then solder. Just measure the distance between them on the pcb your using then go drill a heat sink.
    Jerome

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I drill up about 50 of them ahead of time, here are the measurments for the triac heatsink of the SSR 2.4 pcb.

Post Thanks / Like

I was planning on using 1/20th thick x 1/2" angle aluminum for my heat sinks. Should I use something larger or will this be fine?
    2 Ren 64s,5 Ren24s Going to Pixels in 2015!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPGUY View Post
    I was planning on using 1/20th thick x 1/2" angle aluminum for my heat sinks. Should I use something larger or will this be fine?

I use ½" x .060 thick aluminum angle for mine. Seems to be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Triac soldering

Excellent idea. Thanks Wayne!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast