Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinch...Maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grinch...Maybe?

parellel port controller are old school I dont think people will go there any more .
    Look here: http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to This is were we started from.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the parallel port your only option?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    Why is the parallel port your only option?

This is why he is saying it's his only option "1 486dx 33mhz PC] [3.11 Windows Ver] [0 Sound!]
    This is the year for my Mom.She passed away Feb 12 2012 and this year is dedicated to her and her memory.I will finally have it all finished and set to music all for her as I promised.Heres to you Mom (Dec 10,1944 - Feb 12,2012.I love you...

Now on the web [URL="http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/"]http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

@Ronp:
    Thanks.. wow allot of different controllers/options there
    Yeah I know that parallel port stuff is all really dated

@P. Short:
    It relates back to my lights control program (originally designed to do a single parallel port (8 channels..which at the time is all I'd ever need), I eventually added 2 more ports (for another 16ch) & did some fairly minor coding changes to make it work). I'm pretty sure I could make a Grinch work (a fair bit of code changes LOL)...or other types of controllers as long as I knew what exactly 'data' to send the thing.
    Biggest reason for 'parallel port only' is the driver used for VB programs to "talk" to ports - something called INPOUT16.DLL

@Warlock:
    Believe it or not I actually do still use that ancient museum piece LOL to control my lights. (my lights control program will only work in win 3.1x )
    (If I got a more recent ver of VB I could port it over to a 32bit program & use win 98 .. then it'd use the INPOUT32.DLL driver (which like the '16' ver was meant for parallel ports))
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like with the schematic/parts-list I could fairly easily put one of those together. Are the SSR's for this the same thing like you'd use for a basic parallel controller (opto-isolator, a couple resistors & a Triac)? .. I might even be able to use my old 'boxes' if thats the case
    Something to think about, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the majority of the controllers on here (and SSRez) will SINK current on a pin to turn on a channel. The example code you wrote for your chaser { 00000001, 00000010, ...} gave me the impression that your output pins are SOURCING current to turn on a channel in your design? This might mean that your controller choice may not work with your "SSR 'boxes'".

I am using a homegrown controller that originally sourced (a 1 meant "on") pins to activate a given channel. I had to redesign it to be compatible with the SSRez. Just something to keep in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

@umodjm: You are correct in that my current SSR's are designed for a Sourcing setup ... and it looks like allot of the stuff here looks like it is indeed for Sinking.
    When I originally posted the question I wasn't sure on that, so yeah my existing SSR boxes wouldn't work on a Grinch/etc.

Where I listed 00000001/00000010/etc thats simply the on/off data the computer would read. If a different controller needed to actually "see" a '0' for on / '1' for off I'd just write it into my control program to invert the values being read - so when I go type in all those 1's & 0's to flash the lights I'd still know that a '1' was on

------
    I've also been trying to find if INPOUT32.DLL can be used to send data to a serial port (that might give more options)... All I've seen is its a maybe.
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12