Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santa, sleigh and reindeer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Santa, sleigh and reindeer.

That is a regular C7 bulb as are all the ones in the reindeer. Santa's sleigh has 3 - 40 watt bulbs in it. Each reindeer has 3 bulbs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wood_guy View Post
    I just picked up one of the santa and reindeers. What size and type of bulb did you use for Rudolph's nose?
    I think most people just use a standard C7 cord set. Cut off the end of the nose and then clip the socket in there facing out. You'll probably have to fish the socket up through the inside because the plug probably won't go through the hole. Alternately you could cut off the plug, feed the cord into the nose, clip the socket in place, fish the cord out below and splice the plug back on.

TED
    Last edited by TED; 01-23-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Post Thanks / Like

Ted is correct or you can buy the sockets for C7 or C9 from a lot of places. I bought a lot of them and then used the green zip wire from CDI that has the UV additive in it to help with long term sunlight exposure and made custom cords for all the deer and sleigh. It let me run the zip wire all the way from each reindeer to the sleigh where I have a weatherproof container under the sleigh with an LOR controller in it to run each deer, the sleigh, and the two color rope light. Each deer has 3 sockets in them that I fished the zip cord through the blowmold and out each hole to attach the socket to. Then I just zip tied the zip wire to each blowmold and then to the galvanized cable that attaches each deer together and to the sleigh.
    Doing it this way also let me coat the ends of the zip wire with liquid electric tape and the sockets with a little bit of silicone to seal them. I also used silicone dielectric grease around each bulb to prevent moisture from getting into them. Takes some extra time to do but makes a very good connection and as water resistant as possible for long term usage although it is still very easy to remove a socket and change a bulb if every needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I was tossing out some Halloween stuff and found a pumpkin that had a red C7 bulb. I would really like a LED C7 retrofit bulb, but I can't find any locally. One store had 3 packs, but none in red. It seems like one C7 bulb will not illuminate the reindeer much. I thought about stuffing a short string of LED lights inside.

Now I need to build a mounting base so the santa and reindeer can sit on a gable peak of my roof. I'm leaning toward a plywood platform that I can weight down with paver blocks or similar. I was planning on stapling old carpet to the base to protect the shingles. I need to be able to disassemble everything for storage, including the santa and sled. I put threads on the rods that hold the sled rails together so I can use wing nuts, instead of the hammer on caps it came with. I'm replacing all the screws with stainless ones. I'm adding some extra washers so screw heads wont pull through.
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I got my rig all assembled and put up. The first picture is of how I wired in Rudolph's nose. Quick disconnects were used between the nose and body bulbs for a complete disassemble of the whole rig for storage. The second picture is the mounting base that goes under the sled. I'm using two paver bricks to weight it down. The third picture shows the sled attached to the base using some plastic strap hanger and screws. I threaded one end of the metal rod that goes between the sled rails. That way I can use a wing nut on one end and the hammer on non-removable cap on the other end. The forth picture is a indoor lightup test. I added red and yellow mini lights for the sleigh reins. The last picture is the final installation on the roof.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

6. Likes NDNS00ner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is too cool! I wish I could find something like that. Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try and pick up a whole set here after Christmas and try and motorize it to go through the yard. I have always loved the look of these. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the sleigh and mount! That looks so sweet on the roof like he is taking off to the next house. I would bet you get a lot of comments on it from people who see it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted a thread regarding the Santa and reindeer. Looking to put them on my roof this year. Any ideas or suggestions in regards to mounting them?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the pics. It's given me an idea on mounting my sleigh and reindeers on my roof!

Clyde

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast