Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Brew Lighting System - Arduino Mega - SainSmart 16 Channel Relay Board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home Brew Lighting System - Arduino Mega - SainSmart 16 Channel Relay Board

HA! Check this out I just found my Christmas lights project videos featured on the SainSmart site. They sell the relay board I used. http://www.sainsmart.com/16-channel-...ttl-logic.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home Brew Lighting System - Arduino Mega - SainSmart 16 Channel Relay Board

Here is the datasheet on the relays on the 8 channel SSR board, but I'm not sure how to read the zero-cross part:

http://datasheet.octopart.com/G3MB-2...eet-111010.pdf

My boards have the G3MB-202P-5VDC relays. Does the Yes in the Zero-cross Function column of the table indicate this is Zero-Cross or is random cross, I assume zero which means these won't do dimming any better than the mechanical relays on the 16 channel boards.

If that is true I wonder if the relays can be replaced with the other type G3MB-202PL-DC5.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm apparently the G3MB series has been EOL'd and replaced with G3MC series. The 202P and 202PL look foot print compatible. It may be possible to swap these out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zparticle View Post
    HA! Check this out I just found my Christmas lights project videos featured on the SainSmart site. They sell the relay board I used. http://www.sainsmart.com/16-channel-...ttl-logic.html
    I saw that and thought it an endorsement of the original relay, but upon further investigation, found your issue with dimming. BTW, Those vids were my original inspiration, and the source code the original base I started from.

Here is the datasheet on the relays on the 8 channel SSR board, but I'm not sure how to read the zero-cross part:

http://datasheet.octopart.com/G3MB-2...eet-111010.pdf

My boards have the G3MB-202P-5VDC relays. Does the Yes in the Zero-cross Function column of the table indicate this is Zero-Cross or is random cross, I assume zero which means these won't do dimming any better than the mechanical relays on the 16 channel boards.

If that is true I wonder if the relays can be replaced with the other type G3MB-202PL-DC5.
    I read it the same way you do. 202P is a zero-cross, and the 202PL is a random cross. I am just too stupid to understand exactly what that means. I do, however, realize that we need random cross SSRs.

hmm apparently the G3MB series has been EOL'd and replaced with G3MC series. The 202P and 202PL look foot print compatible. It may be possible to swap these out.
    Man I would hate to have to dust off my soldering skills on something that is carrying 120v.

Post Thanks / Like

here is the best explanation of of zero-crossing/random-crossing I've found yet.

http://www.crydom.com/en/Tech/Newsle...ng%20types.pdf

Looking at the boards replacing those relays should be a snap.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I took the plunge. I just ordered 16 of the G3MC-202PL-DC5 from Mouser at $5 a piece. I'm going to try to replace the G3MB-202P-DC5 relays with the random-cross relays and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW the latest code can now be found here: http://code.google.com/p/arduino-chr...tem-for-vixen/

Post Thanks / Like

zParticle -

I have the SainSaint SSR board and yes it uses the G3MB 202P Omron SSR. Hope the switch works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

As you may have discovered, the zero cross function SSR uses the AC zero-crossing points to turn the relay ON. Since this turn-on point is always the same (at zero), it can't be used for phase control dimming. It is possible to use dimming by "burst mode", but that may cause some flickering due to the lower PWM frequency. I also have not seen anyone here use that method, even though it is technically feaseable, as explained in the crydom pdf from post #25.

The random SSR can be turned on in any part of the AC cycle. However, to make AC dimming work your Arduino software must know where the AC cycle starts. If you don't give the Arduino the zero crossing point then your random SSR is not synchronized to the AC line and thus will dim poorly.

Does your Arduino board have a zero crossing detetion input? Your firmware needs to use this signal for dimming.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I wondered about that. The Arduino doesn't have the zc detection, however I suppose I could make a little circuit for that. Thanks for the info. I'll do it in stages, see what it looks like without the ZCD first and then go from there.

Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast