Thread: Light is turning on out of synch with the program

Post Thanks / Like

Default Light is turning on out of synch with the program

I have finally managed to wire and connect up my very humble 24 channel display, I am running a single grinch board and using SSROZ for the SSR's. I have two issues, one I will need to spend more time diagnosing and will post here if needed, however I am completely puzzled with the behaviour of lights connected to an SSR.

I have a test sequence in which I simply have the lights lights on then off and I have this looping within Vixen. Most of my lights are turning on and all is great, however I have two star shaped rope lights, operating at 240V, connected to an SSR (channel 17 and 18), initially these stars don't turn on at all then intermittently one star (channel 17) will turn on and when it does the sequence has all lights turned off. The single star does this for 3 or 4 times and then will not turn on for perhaps 10 or 15 seconds then do the same thing.

The star rope light that is connected to channel 18 doesn't power on at all.

My other issue is a 4 sets lights connected to a single SSR that don't power on and only when I turn off a set of lights or disconect an SSR these lights may come on. I have swapped the SSR but the lights don't come on now. I suspect a port on the Grinch could be faulty so will test this further. I only include this in case it is related or can provide further insight into the issue above.

Both SSR's are connected to different port groups, IC1 (Port D) and IC2 (Port E) on the Grinch.

What are the typical causes or what should I be looking into for this star that is out of synch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Light is turning on out of synch with the program

In relation to the problem with the star shaped rope lights, if you move the SSR to another port does the problem follow the SSR or stay at the original port? That will give you a clue to where to start looking. Include the cable that you have between the port and the SSR as a possible location for the fault, try swapping that with another.

Also, there is a test function within Vixen. Just to the right of the channel count window in the tool bar. You can use this to turn individual channels on and off.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Light is turning on out of synch with the program

It turns out the issue with the stars and the other lights were related to a faulty Allegro IC, replaced IC2 on the Grinch and most is happy. I have found I still have dead ports elsewhere(IC3 and IC4 are most likely screwed too), but I have enough ports to see me through Christmas and will deal with the faulty ports in the new year.

Thanks heaps for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

Matt