Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well , I just toasted my 595 I just got ... HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well , I just toasted my 595 I just got ... HELP

Ok , as stated above , I toasted the 595 board . All the chips just got hotter than hot .
    Soooo ...
    Now , I need to know where , and the part numbers , where I can get new chips ( and also , if anyone thinks the resistors went as well )
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bite. How did you go about doing that? Sorry to hear that it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess hooking up the pin configuration from the Rj45 to the DB25 wrong ?
    Only thing I did wrong ( I think .... since there are more than one way to hook them up - and in the WIKI it tells you color coding , which was also not the way mine was/is . )

Post Thanks / Like

First step of course before fixing the broken unit is finding the cause of it having broke. ;)

Do you have the ability to take pictures? Take pictures of the RJ45 end of the cable (I'm assuming you just took a patch panel cable and chopped one end off of it to then install the DB25 to that end) so the colors can be seen. Perhaps a second set of eyes for you.

So the CAT5 isn't following the GOBR (green, orange, blue, brown) standard?

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the only way to smoke the chips like that would be either to have the 5 VDC and GND reversed or have the 5 VDC shorted to GND.

I had a Ren-64 that one of the outputs to the SSRs had a short between 5 VDC and GND and the PIC controlling it got real hot and the pcb started to smoke before I caught it. Lucky for me nothing was damaged too much.

You definitely need to get your multimeter out and check your wiring and your board for shorts or mis-wires.
    RavingLunatic
    Not just a username but a state of mind

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry , the cam I have is far from good enough to take pics that clear .
    but , from what I can see , here is the order :
    having the front that inserts into the female end facing away from you going left to right:

white/orange
    orange
    white/green
    blue
    green
    white/brown
    brown

And , from what I know ... the number one would be the white/orange and number two - orange , and so on and so forth .

that is why I inquired earlier , but there are a few different pinouts out there and guess I chose the wrong one to try

What I did was not follow color coding , but rather pins to pins

PARALLEL RJ45
    1 5
    2 8
    14 7
    18 3

5 volt was hooked into externally from the PS from the computers regulated 5 volt supply line.
    When I first hooked it up , all the LEDs lit up ( power and all for the ouput to the SSR cat connectors , then , they kinda went out in groups of aprox 6
    And what I did for the parallel side was check each pin thru continuity test to make sure I had the correct wire for the correct pin .
    Pin1 = black wire
    Pin 2 = black/white wire
    Pin 14 = pinkish wire
    Pin 18 = yellow wire
    when viewing the DB 25 facing you , pin 1 is top left widest point .

Post Thanks / Like

Two different standards - Cat5 vs Cat5e, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

You may of had pin 1 on the RJ45 tied to 5 volts and also had 5 volts from the computers power supply on P1 of the circuit board at the same time.
    [code]