Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on hanging lights on high roofline, permanent hooks maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice on hanging lights on high roofline, permanent hooks maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by kwajtony View Post
    I did the zip tie on my lights, (two days ago) and have them on my roof line, all I can see is the pipe and the lens of the bulb. So far they are straight up because I have tee's at each joint with a short piece of pipe running down opposite sides of the ridge to hold the pvc in a particular position.
    do you have pictures?

My latest version of my idea is to drill holes every 4 inches along one side of the pvc pipe. I would then run two passes of that side down my table saw an basically cut a channel that connects the holes. I would then lay the wires in the pipe and insert the sockets in each hole. The holes would be snug but I'd run a bead of caulking around the part of the sockets that come in contact with the pvc. My ONLY concern with this aproach is that I have now created a bowl for water to accumulate that the wires are sitting in. This is not a concern on the dormers but on the straight, flat runs, I'm a bit concerned. I too would cut the top of the dormers at angle such that the left and right side hold each other.
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice on hanging lights on high roofline, permanent hooks maybe?

I need to make the angle of the supports 45degrees and support the joints by dowel inserts.
    Picture yesterday.
    2012-11-30_13-11-47_530.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I need to make the angle of the supports 45degrees and support the joints by dowel inserts.
    Picture yesterday.
    Wow, that looks awesome. I need to do something like this to get my lights installed on the roofline much quicker!
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    I'm trying to figure a way to get the wires to run inside the PVC so they will be hidden and the only thing seen is the bulbs. Unfortunately, the bulbs and sockets are already connected to the SPT2. I have 4 SPT2 wires running together (1 for each color) so the wires are quite bulky. I thought hiding them in the pvc would work but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any ideas/pictures. Worst case scenario is I can just ziptie them but this has 2 issue:

1) The lights are sideways and not up/down
    2) You can see the wires
    You can always wrap the PVC with white, or whatever color you want, tape which will hide the wires. Try to find UV resistant tape. You could even find some of the thin handle bar tape which is UV resistant and comes in many colors.

Picture yesterday.
    I'd add some T's along the ridge with 1 to 2 foot sections of PVC going off each side about every 8 to 10 feet which would add stability. I'd also think about black UV resistant tie wraps when those white ones get brittle in the sun.

But other than those suggestions it looks great and it's easy to convert to pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice how you have the tile roof and a nice channel to hold the pvc. I thought of doing a lay across like that but wasn't sure how to secure it from blowing off the roof. I wouldn't think the weight alone would hole it up there on a windy night.
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

btw, did you drill holes in the pvc for each light? They look like they are going into the pipe
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    You can always wrap the PVC with white, or whatever color you want, tape which will hide the wires. Try to find UV resistant tape. You could even find some of the thin handle bar tape which is UV resistant and comes in many colors.
    I didn't think of the tape idea, thanks. I chose the Gray Electrical PVC Conduit to be as close to my shingle color as possible. I used standard zip ties (white) and I drilled two 5/8ths hole per bulb similiar to what I did for my gutter lights (before I painted my house). I also paint the white PVC pieces gray to approximate the color of the PVC conduit.

I'd add some T's along the ridge with 1 to 2 foot sections of PVC going off each side about every 8 to 10 feet which would add stability. I'd also think about black UV resistant tie wraps when those white ones get brittle in the sun.
    I have to have the angle steeper for the ridge T's, the existing T's approximate the roof's slope and doesn't hold the light as closely as I would like. I have changed the configuration for the ridges on the front of the house to be like this.
    2012-12-02_08-31-31_484.jpg
    But other than those suggestions it looks great and it's easy to convert to pixels.
    That is part of my objective, that and easy up/down next year.
    The configuration does well in wind with the storms we have been having the last couple of days, no movement since the first storm and that is only a piece of pipe that came off the ridge (hence the move to change to the angle of the T's).
    Last edited by kwajtony; 12-02-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: painted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

So you fished the zip ties in each hole through the pipe and back out to wrap around the bulb socket? That must have been tedious. What did you use? or did you just drill all the way through the pipe?
    Last edited by michaelc; 12-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I'm mounting mine. Each segment is around 7' long, so they are easy to store, and there is a clip about every 3.5'. I ended up one LED too long on the last segment but I might be able to push them all up just enough. If not I'm just cover the one LED with black tape. Next year they will all be Pixels so I will correct it then. The red tape is there to partially hide the wires and to give it a peppermint stick look.

Don't worry about the bare wires. I'm running everything on 48VDC so there is no hazard and they will get sealed up.

Checkout my Facebook page for more picts. Shooting to go live on Tuesday the 4th.

BTW, I'm going to spray the clips white when I take everything down and see how they look without the PVC. If not too bad I'll leave the clips up all year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    So you fished the zip ties in each hole through the pipe and back out to wrap around the bulb socket? That must have been tedious. What did you use? or did you just drill all the way through the pipe?
    See attached photos
    P1010002.jpg P1010003.jpg P1010004.jpg P1010006.jpg

Hey Timon, like you adaptation.
    Last edited by kwajtony; 12-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast