Thread: Train Build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Train Build

I'm building a mini train like DanoNJ did in the previous post. I have 12v running to the table to run my motor but now I need to setup down the 12v power to 3-6v. What can I use to accomplish this? I'm giong to be adding some battery powered lights but want to get rid of the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Train Build

search ebay for dc to dc converter there is a tone of them.
    "Jack of all trades, master of none,

Certainly better than a master of one"
    Projects:
    [URL]http://hackaday.io/project/1092-Raptor12-AC-light-controller[/URL]

Videos
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/KingOfKYA/videos?flow=grid&view=0[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

What are you using for power? Mine is set up using a PC supply. With that, I have the availablity for 12vdc, 5vdc and 3vdc all in one supply.

Post os pictures of your progess!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i am interested in your idea id like to do the same thing for christmas. maybe you could send me your plans by email?

Post Thanks / Like

Something was wrong with the design that I attempted and could never get it to work. I had a complete circle for the center track, the feed wire was parallel to the track and yet the feeds on the bottom of the train was always moving off the wires so I kept losing power to the train. I never had any plans and just winged it. The places that I could get power it worked OK but not 100% completed it. I'll be working on a larger version of the train and start much earlier this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post
    Something was wrong with the design that I attempted and could never get it to work. I had a complete circle for the center track, the feed wire was parallel to the track and yet the feeds on the bottom of the train was always moving off the wires so I kept losing power to the train. I never had any plans and just winged it. The places that I could get power it worked OK but not 100% completed it. I'll be working on a larger version of the train and start much earlier this year.
    Had somewhat the same issues with mine. Worked great in the garage during the summer. As soon as it got hit with one rain storm... I'm thinking of running it with a slip ring this year. Summer project.

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice , can you paste some pictures of your work ? i want to see the design of your mini train.

phone repair in regina
    Last edited by Kabron; 10-15-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

have been working on a train build.. got the tracks built.. the engine is built but not finished yet.. working on other cars.. will get everything built then spray paint everything.
    lots of work to go yet but getting there

Post Thanks / Like

2015-03-16 12.37.23.jpg picture of diesel engine..