Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first mini tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first mini tree

I got my first one done. It's 1-1/4 PVC center shaft. The ring is 1/2" pex. The top is a 3" 1/4-20 bolt sticking out of a PVC cap and the strings have small loops wire tied in them to slip over the bolt. This is 2x 100ct strands of the commercial LEDs from creative displays. Tree is 4' tall. 28" in diameter at the base. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351723775.173656.jpg 5 more to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first mini tree

aint that a nifty tree! I like it!
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Mind posting some close up shots in normal light? Seems like a real simple design.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill take pics tomorrow. It's raining out now. It is a fairly simple design. But I did go thru the trouble to calculate all the geometry so it worked out perfectly. I used two 100ct strands from CDI. They're 33' long. The center pole is 52" long 1-1/4 electrical PVC conduit. The bottom ring is 88" length of 1/2" pex joined with a plastic pex coupler (without crimp rings). The top is a PVC cap with a 4" 1/4-20 bolt sticking out the top. I marked the bottom ring at 5.5" increments.
    Then I made a triangular jig with 3 long nails on a piece of wood. Two nails are 5.5" apart. The third is 47" away from both of the other two. I connected the two strings end to end with a half knot then plug. (Effectively a square knot). Then I wrapped the strings in a triangle around the nails until I'm out of strand. It should work out within about 4" of perfect. You should have 8 wraps. Then at the end with the nails close together I put a wire tie around the strand at every point where a strand bends around a nail. This is just a reference mark. There's a lot of other ways you can do that. Then at the one nail end, I put a wire tie around both aides of the strand about 1" from the nail so it makes a loop.
    Take the strands off the jig and then wire tie the strand to the pex at all of the marked points matching the marks on the pex to the wire tie marks on the strand. At this point you should have a sun shaped thing on the floor. The pex circle in the center with 8 long triangles of strand protruding from the circle. Then put the pole in the middle and hook the loops on the long ends of the strand over the bolt in the center of cap. I alternated the order 1-5-2-6-3-7-4-8 (like tightening lug nuts) so it draped more evenly. If you're worried about the threads wearing on the strand, put a piece of heat shrink over it. I let mine go without.
    I also made led snowflake toppers for them too. They just screw onto the top of the bolt.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. And the center poles slide perfectly over those standard green fencing stakes. They're the ones made for wire fencing with the chevron shaped flat part near the bottom. I used 3" stakes.

To hold them up in the workshop, I used both a bucket of gravel with a 1.5" pipe in it. And also a large cable reel. Both held the center pole upright so I could do the assembly.

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

nice
    [COLOR=red]"I have to plug ALL of these into what??"[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Crab-Orchard-Christmas/223405451066297/"]Find us on Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://craborchardchristmas.weebly.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]CrabOrchardChristmas.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222]
    [/COLOR]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR=#008000]
    Whether it's E.L.F. or C.L.A.P, or an elf clapping... who knows... I have "it" either way!!![/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    Nice tree designed. Designing these tree is not so difficult but attaching the lightening system is more difficult. Because it should be attached in a proper way to give a perfect look.
    Huh? It looks pretty darn perfect to me. And that is from a recovering perfectionist

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Yeah for me things like trees are a balance between perfection and randomness. The spacing of the strings and lengths are pretty close to perfect. But I used the c6 strands for their extra bulk to give it a bit of randomness like tree tips. I've got more pics of them actually out in the yard on my site. Www.chuchla.com/Christmas

--Jon Chuchla--

Post Thanks / Like

This looks much nicer and easier to build than what I have going right now. Any comments from people on how it does in the wind?

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Jon,
    So does the PEX tubing just sit on the ground, or do you anchor it in some way to keep it from moving?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast