Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enclouser Ideas for DirkCheapSSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enclouser Ideas for DirkCheapSSR

Quote Originally Posted by nuelemma View Post
    3/4" PVC pipe, caps and some heat shrink tubing.

Attachment 15956

Attachment 15957
    Ok i like the PVC pipe and Caps idea but have some questions.

1. How are you sealing the Caps around the wires?
    2. Are the caps glued into place?
    3. If they are glued in place what are you doing to service the unit?
    4. Could you use a piece of PVC with only a cap on the top end to keep out water and leave the bottom of the pipe open?

I use TA 200 for my SSRez's and SSRNeon's but not sure i what to use them for these.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered up 4 sets of these and I plan on gluing the top cap to the PVC pipe, and then gluing a female threaded fitting to the bottom of the pipe, making the bottom cap a male thread and drilling a hole in the bottom for all the wires to go through. The circuit board would then basically be attached to the bottom threaded cap, and the top/pipe would be completely removable in the event I need to service the board. Last year I had lots of issues with my SSR boards getting wet under all the snow we had, I had to fix several of them throughout the season and I was looking at a new enclousre idea for this year, but these will be much easier to seal up and work with especially on the mini trees. Each LED set of lights is only a couple watts, I think all 64 channels for my mini tress only took 2.5 amps total. I'll maybe look into buying another ren64 and re-purposing the SSR boards I have now for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I stuffed mine into 1" PVC pipe. I capped one end using punchout plugs for junction boxes, sealed with hot glue (mostly to cut down on cost). The other end was so tight with the wires that I just sealed around them with silicon. The PCBs were sealed with heatshrink and hot glue. I figure this should make them pretty watertight. I was worried a little about fixing units if they failed since they were so glued up but the cost was so low during the group buy, it'd be easier to replace a unit once in a while at $3.75.

Post Thanks / Like

1) I used liquid tape to seal the holes around the wires.
    2,3) The caps are not glued, in case I need to service them. I just used a little of the liquid tape to create some kind of seal.
    4) I think so, unless they are close to the ground where water can get in...

Quote Originally Posted by glaforce View Post

4. Could you use a piece of PVC with only a cap on the top end to keep out water and leave the bottom of the pipe open?

I use TA 200 for my SSRez's and SSRNeon's but not sure i what to use them for these.

Gary
    RGB Mega Tree Plugin: www.varaderolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glaforce View Post

Gary
    I think if you can't get it perfectly sealed, then don't try. Purposely leave it with an opening. If water gets in, it has to be able to get out. Water has a way of getting between the wires. It's much better at getting in than out and sealing them will cause you more problems. Also, if you make them air-tight, moisture will build up with temp changes.

Before I decided to attach them to the inside of my Megatree, I had come up with a little stake idea to keep them off the ground and the open end down. I'll try to find my sketch.

I went ahead and layed it out in Corel. I will likely make a few of these for misc use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kychristmas; 10-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly,

That is one, slick implementation! Cutting the PVC sharp so it's easy to stick in the ground, leaving an exit slot, and all the electrical stuff it up above... that's tremendous.

You may have a budding business there -- about 1300 dirk cheaps have been sold... if Mike sells off his current stock, that'll put it close to 2K units.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

In your drawing you show a 1" Union, is this truly a Union, or are you using a Coupling?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly, NICE!! Apparently old dogs can teach new tricks!!
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the PVC stake idea but wanted it a little taller and cutting that slot seem like a task with out a router or milling machine so I used a TEE instead. I included a couple of pictures of the stake in 1 peice and in 2 peices.

The top cap is glued and the TEE is glued to stake end.

I included a picture of a finished unit as well.

Top pipe is 4" tall and the bottom one is 8" tall

Gary

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glaforce; 11-03-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added pipe lengths

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    In your drawing you show a 1" Union, is this truly a Union, or are you using a Coupling?
    Sorry Tom, I use "Union" and "Coupler" interchangably. Sorry if they are not.

See the Gary's (glaforce) Tee idea below. Makes it a little bit bulkier, but I like the idea and Gary is certainly correct that it make it easier and safier to build.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast