Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast

Thread: SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 07-01-21) OUT OF STOCK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 01-01-21)

Quote Originally Posted by revilohm View Post
    I am trying to find where I can purchase the Renard SS24 controller boards (bare boards or kit form).

I have been using five of the older boards (up to 120 channels) since 2009 but mine are beginning to fail and I want to replace the failed ones.

Any idea where I can purchase replacements?
    Here would be the only place. What is failing on them? Triacs?? You can order replacement triacs from digikey or mouser. Or just about any other component on the ss24 unless it is out of stock.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 01-01-21)

I just bought some used ones. Unless you had a catastrophic event with the board
    and burned a lot of traces, they should be repairable. I still have the first one I bought
    in my show! I got the kit and built it in 2010! They are pretty much rock solid, or have been
    for me at least. The only parts I have that failed are Triacs, Mocs, one zero crossing
    clock and of course a fuse here or there. I do find that the screw terminals on the power
    and outputs will loosen slightly over time and re-tighten them from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SS Renard Kits Now Available (current 07-01-21) OUT OF STOCK

Every season since 2012 I dig the Christmas stuff out of storage, and every season I marvel at how my Renard boards (one Renard 8 & five Renard 24) operate.

They are easy to build, and I swear there must be some magic in 'em to do all they do.
    128 channels. Each obeying their duty seemingly at once. Dimming, and flashing and fading, and all synched perfectly with music.
    I mean, if THAT ain't magic I wouldn't know what is.

If you're on the fence about getting a Renard or two or six for yourself, quit hesitating!

Post Thanks / Like

Renard SS24 are great controller's. No problems at all. Thank you Wayne J!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone get me the part number for the 5V voltage regulator? Also, has anyone seen issues with these going bad? If so, what does that look like? When I wiggle the regulator, the board either will lose power or my channels flicker for a split second.
    2010: 10,000 Static Lights
    2011: 12,469 Lights 28 Channels of Blinky Flashy (1 LOR16, 3 DMX4B)
    2012: 42,969 Lights 229 Channels of Blinky Flashy (10 SS24's)
    2013: 42,969 Lights 229 Channels of Blinky Flashy (10 SS24's)
    2014: No show, Sold my old house then bought a new House
    2015: No show, Selling off, Going back to static so I can have a life again

[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gaglio-House-Of-Light/291850177520126?ref=hl[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n4vy0wnzj00 View Post
    Can anyone get me the part number for the 5V voltage regulator? Also, has anyone seen issues with these going bad? If so, what does that look like? When I wiggle the regulator, the board either will lose power or my channels flicker for a split second.
    I would reference the BOM on the Wiki: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...ting_.28BOM.29
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help. I've run through the tests that are done with all the ICs removed and then replacing them one by one. I don't have the chip that is programed for circuit trouble shooting, and am not sure I'd know what to do with it if I did have one.

Also, there is a reasonably good chance that the board is okay, but it's my use of the software that is failing. I've used Vixen 2.14 on an older XT machine (via parallel port) and it worked fine. However, I can't seem to get 2.14 to work with this SS8 board in a Win 10 machine via USB or regular serial port. I've tried Vixen 3, but frankly don't understand the program well enough to be sure that I'm setting it up correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone here is in the business of testing boards built by neophytes such as myself, or am I doomed to continue screwing around with it until I break something permanently. Any suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated. Cheers to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n4vy0wnzj00 View Post
    Sounds like a cold solder joint to me, try reflowing the solder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bernett View Post
    I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help. I've run through the tests that are done with all the ICs removed and then replacing them one by one. I don't have the chip that is programed for circuit trouble shooting, and am not sure I'd know what to do with it if I did have one.

Also, there is a reasonably good chance that the board is okay, but it's my use of the software that is failing. I've used Vixen 2.14 on an older XT machine (via parallel port) and it worked fine. However, I can't seem to get 2.14 to work with this SS8 board in a Win 10 machine via USB or regular serial port. I've tried Vixen 3, but frankly don't understand the program well enough to be sure that I'm setting it up correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone here is in the business of testing boards built by neophytes such as myself, or am I doomed to continue screwing around with it until I break something permanently. Any suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated. Cheers to all.
    What are you using for the USB to serial conversion??

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tom Bernett;546795]I purchased an SS8 kit, and found the kit very well laid out, with all the parts, and very understandable instructions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help.

Tom,

For troubleshooting the board, I'd recommend posting in
    Hardware -> Renard -> General
    Instead of this thread to buy the boards.

Also, test and troubleshooting guides are linked at the bottom of https://www.doityourselfchristmas.co...ntroller_Board

DM me when you start a new thread, and I'll jump over to the new thread for troubleshooting.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by error650; 12-18-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast