Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W5200_Driver - Parallax Object of the week

Post Thanks / Like

Default W5200_Driver - Parallax Object of the week

Looks like my W5200 driver made object of the week over on the parallax website...WOOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: W5200_Driver - Parallax Object of the week

Cool

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Ben! Great news....

Regards,
    Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Well deserved!
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was wondering how you handle assigning a unique MAC address in your driver. I'm working with a few others to use the 5200 in an arduino based wireless bridge project. The arduino library provided by wiznet uses a fixed MAC address. We have a few ideas but I was wondering how others are handling it.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Ben uses a chip with a built-in mac address. I store my mac address in eeprom. The 1st 3 bytes are always the same. At startup, I read the mac address from eeprom, and if the 1st 3 bytes aren't correct, (typically meaning the 1st time the program runs), I assume that a mac has never been generated. If that's the case I run a random number generator object and generate 3 random numbers in the range of 0-255. Those become the last 3 bytes of the mac, and then the mac is written to eeprom.
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the[SIZE=3] [COLOR=red]P[/COLOR][COLOR=orange]I[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]X[/COLOR][COLOR=lime]E[/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]L[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]P[/COLOR][COLOR=lime]R[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]O[/COLOR][COLOR=red]J[/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]E[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]C[/COLOR][COLOR=red]T[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://www.sandevices.com"]www.sandevices.com[/URL][/SIZE] <-email jim at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    I believe Ben uses a chip with a built-in mac address.
    I use an IC created by Microchip that has a unique MAC address as opposed to having to either assign one in code or randomly generate one.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Those two ideas are the exact same two methods we were considering. Steve just got it working with the create random on first run method. I think we're going to stick with that. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Those two ideas are the exact same two methods we were considering. Steve just got it working with the create random on first run method. I think we're going to stick with that. Thanks!
    As long as you never leave a private LAN this will work, just know that it's not technically the "right" solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast