Thread: com port issues and trouble viewing preview

Post Thanks / Like

Default com port issues and trouble viewing preview

okay on my one laptop running windows 7 no ports show up on the other laptop running windows xp only port 3 shows up i am running renss and when i try to view my sequence nothing shows up music just plays any help on this would be great thank you o i am running voixen 2.1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: com port issues and trouble viewing preview

You need to make sure you have the box checked in the adjustable preview in your profile manager. You also need to check the com port and make sure you have the same baud rate set as you do on the renard set up box. You can go into your device manager and set the com port to match your Renard.

Post Thanks / Like

its checked and i still cant seem to preview it as far as the boards go they arent assambled yet stilll on them

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding ports: do the two PC's have the same hardware configuration? IE: Do you have serial ports on both machines?

Regarding preview: did you copy a working sequence from one machine to the other? If yes do you have the preview definition in a profile or in the sequence? If each machine has it's own profile definition then the preview mapping may not be consistent. To make sure the two machines are using the same preview definition you can either copy the profile from one machine to the other, or you can use the 'Flatten profile into sequence' and then move the good sequence to the other machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Your ports or baud rate have no bearing on being able to view the AP. If you have the Adjustable Preview (AP) added and activated in your profile, and a Preview built, you should be able to view it on either machine. If you transfer a Profile and a Sequence from one PC to another, you need to attach the sequence to the profile on the new machine (unless you have 'flattened' as per the previous note). Also need to attach the audio file (MP3).

Post Thanks / Like

had the same problem of no comm ports on a new desktop windows 7 machine. Finally hooked up my RS485 adapter and then the computer named it comm 3 and vixen preview went to working. as far as not seeing anything--I'm absolutely no help.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a profile or sequence with plugins configured for com port devices (Renards, etc,) and your NOT actually using the devices while building your sequence and just using AP, leave the plugins configured but DISABLE them (remove the check in the box at plugin setup)

Also if your building a sequence and your starting and stopping multiple times, periodically check your Task manager for multiple copies of hidden Vixen.exe when you start getting the com port errors.

I have a sample Vixen.Bat file sitting here on the Forum somewhere that checks for existing instances of Vixen and LTC and offers to terminate them to help with the problem.

It does not happen often and I can only speak to version 2.1.4 for this.

I use the .bat file exclusively when running my show to make a quick show timer start or when the needs arises a quick and trouble free stop/restart.

*Edit
    One more thing... Windows 7 may require you to run Vixen in "Run as Administrator" to gain port/com access as well as audio. >-- right click your desktop shortcut, Properties, Compatibility, and at the bottom under Privilege, unable "run this program as an Administrator" > Apply>OK..
    Last edited by Aurbo99; 10-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

thanks finally got it resolved so i am now back to trying to get at lest one song sequenced this year if i get two i will be happy