Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fog control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fog control

"Simple" is relative. To throw a relay on an SSR and tap into the push button for a fog machine is a 10-15 minute thing for me (but it wasn't the first time I did it). It sounds complicated in a forum thread, but is really quite simplistic in the execution. For somebody that doesn't know that much about relays, or SSRs, etc, it could take a half day on Google to find the schematic needed. And even after all that they could still end up touching the wrong wire and turning their fog machine or REN controller into slag. I guess if you are on these forums, we assume that you are more towards the "enlightened" side, and can take some creative input, add some of your own brain juice, and come out with a working solution. But...

Failure is always an option.
    And my new favorite... "Writing it down" is the difference between science, and screwing around.

Good luck!

RD
    Even Twitter has 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
    "Simple" is relative. To throw a relay on an SSR and tap into the push button for a fog machine is a 10-15 minute thing for me (but it wasn't the first time I did it). It sounds complicated in a forum thread, but is really quite simplistic in the execution. For somebody that doesn't know that much about relays, or SSRs, etc, it could take a half day on Google to find the schematic needed. And even after all that they could still end up touching the wrong wire and turning their fog machine or REN controller into slag. I guess if you are on these forums, we assume that you are more towards the "enlightened" side, and can take some creative input, add some of your own brain juice, and come out with a working solution. But...

Failure is always an option.
    And my new favorite... "Writing it down" is the difference between science, and screwing around.

Good luck!

RD
    I'm assuming I could figure out an ssr. I was just thinking I could use the two wires from the renard channel and somehow tie into the trigger box with them and switch it on via turning that channel on. Not having to build or buy anything. I honestly thought ssr's were not needed with the renardss to do such things. I will be the first to tell you that I don't know much. So I could always be wrong that's why I'm here asking for advise (I know I don't know but I'm willing to learn).

I know I said I was planning to just cut the wires and give it a go but I also was figuring your way with the ssr was the correct way to go about it. I also liked the way you included links to radio shack parts(almost like you knew there was one close to me).

I did however find a solution that was specifically made for the intended job. Plugs in right were the previous trigger did and I believe will work better than trying to sequence it myself. Just a dial for time and one for duration pretty simple.

Hope I did nothing to offend you in any way.

Call me old fashion or whatever but I still "write things down" I can loose files on the computer if I'm not carefull but there's nothing like my handy dandy notebook.

Thanks again for your comments and advise it was not ignored!
    [B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]not so new but still learning![/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corytcline View Post
    I'm assuming I could figure out an ssr.
    Ah-Ha! Here is the cool part. A channel on a REN24 is an SSR, it is just already on the controller. So nothing to figure out, it is already there. So, if you just drive a relay coil from the REN channel, that will give you your dry contacts to "replace" the button on the fog machine timer. There is a manual button on the timer (if I recall) that you could still tap into. That is the beauty of just having dry contacts off the relay. So the fog timer could be running on a delay for "ambient" fog that puffs once in a while and you can still add it to a channel in the sequence. Have fun with it! And if it is not working out, then forget about it and mess with it later if you want. Conceptually you have a switch (ssr), driving a switch (relay), controlling a switch (button on fog timer). So it is a bit of a mind trip, but it does work! I will dig mine out tonight and shoot a picture.

And you can't offend me. That would require that I have 1) thin skin, and 2) the intelligence to know I am being offended.
    Even Twitter has 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
    Ah-Ha! Here is the cool part. A channel on a REN24 is an SSR,
    That what I was thinking and also why I was getting confused with all the ssr stuff.
    So you said an ssr(my ren channel)controlling a relay switch controlling the trigger switch. Just curious why so many stops, can you explain why it won't work channel to trigger without the relay? Like I said just curious not doubting you.
    Pics would probaly do me wonders!

Post Thanks / Like

[COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I always forget about searching the forums. Looks like I got some reading to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corytcline View Post
    Just curious why so many stops, can you explain why it won't work channel to trigger without the relay? Like I said just curious not doubting you.
    You need dry contacts (no power). You have 120 volts across your SSR (REN channel) which could be a bad thing when you inject that into the fog machine. So the SSR activates the coil on the relay which then gives you dry contacts (normally open/closed) that you put in line with the fog machine button. The relay then acts like a simple switch that you can control from your sequence.
    Even Twitter has 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation.

Here is what I have so far for my display got a lot of work still yet to do.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108251.311590.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108292.565637.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108356.116039.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108384.314529.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108420.264316.jpg

There will still be one more tunnel to finish going around the dog pen. This is my first year to put a few turn in it so its been a learning experience. Hope you enjoy I accept all suggestions or comments. More to come!

Post Thanks / Like

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108690.848823.jpg

Add a wig and a cape

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108726.532747.jpg

I put this together with three 10' sections of 1/2" PVC then screwed two 1x4's to the back for support. 7 channels total two purple 5 orange. I have a short video to come.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350108865.915867.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12