Thread: How to Solder Cat5 Cables to a board

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Solder Cat5 Cables to a board

Soldering cat5 cable to a circuit board is often kind of a tricky thing because the cables are generally a little stiff and it's not easy keeping the cables in the holes when you flip the board over. Here's a tip that can help you, especially if you're assembling the DirkCheapSSRs and not using RJ45 jacks.

Strip back the insulation on the cat5 wires. Use some masking tape and tape the cable to the board, leaving enough slack to bend the cables and fit into the holes. The masking tape is your friend here -- it holds the wire for you.

I use a forceps or small needlenose pliers to bend the cables -- it's a lot easier than fingers. Insert the first row (pins 2-4-6-8) and solder. Then insert the second row (pins 1-3-5-7) and solder. Don't try all eight at once.

Even though a DirkCheapSSR (in this example) requires only 5 of the 8 wires, I typically solder all eight for additional strength. Remove the tape and you're done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 08-04-2012 at 12:25 PM.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Solder Cat5 Cables to a board

I also believe in 3M blue tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Solder Cat5 Cables to a board

Nice Write up Dave! I have struggled with the cat 5 stuff and realize that it can be very difficult to work with. It was one of the reasons I went to wireless in much of my display this year.

John