Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: DMX dongle thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

True, KC is looking at the code. Basically when you use the 245 the baud rate of FTDI driver is ignored. Data is sent to the device as fast as it can take it.

So you're right the more efficent the code the faster you can strip data. The issue seems at the moment that the baud rate in the vixen plugin sets the speed data is sent out.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben,

Are you saying that I'm running 512 channels at 25ms on 115k .. Man thats awesome. Maybe we don't need more than a usb adapter and a pic to do one universe. I have a scope capture of a full 512 channels updateing at 25ms and its keeping up and my vixen plugin is set to 115k.

RJ
    [url]www.diylightanimation.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to defer to KC on this one. Keep in mind its just a theory at this point. In a way it makes some sense, the channels only get updated when they change. In Vixen the values are checked at each cell transition. So your event period and the baud rate may effect the speed data is send down USB.

I will let you know, as I know.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen
    FT245 datasheet
    Data transfer rate to 300 kilobyte / second - VCP Drivers.
    FT232 datasheet
    Data transfer rates from 300 baud to 3 Megabaud (RS422 / RS485 and at TTL levels) and 300 baud to 1 Megabaud (RS232).
    Lets use DMX as an example:
    250K baud/8 = 31250 bytes/second
    31250 bytes/second * 4 universes = 125K bytes\sec

So I should still be able to do what I'm doing with the 245. Is my math/thinking correct?
    If you don't find the VCP drivers fast enough...
    I noticed on the 245 spec sheet that the D2XX driect drivers can go to 1Mbyte/second. That would make the plug-in more complicated, but might also open more possiblities.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910