Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many DMX Universes on a Controller - running E131 or Stand Alone

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many DMX Universes on a Controller - running E131 or Stand Alone

Does having more than 4 Universes on a card make sense?

Would 6 be better?

Would 8 be better?

What's the right size if running E131?

What's the right size for running stand alone?

Think what you need next year - not this year.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many DMX Universes on a Controller - running E131 or Stand Alone

Well, for a kick bootie mega tree, 8 universes is nice. 32 strands of 42 pixels...
    5 houses using:
    Renard 64, 3 Ren24's, Ren8
    4 E682 pixel controllers
    2,300 WS2801 pixel nodes
    1200 dumb RGB
    Sequenced using LSP 2.5

Post Thanks / Like

Personally 4 is a good mix of size and capacity.
    I intend to add more as i go.
    I struggle to see how i would biult a display item with 16 universes of pixels.
    However 16 universes distributed across the whole display is feasible, particularly if i sell some realestate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Matt

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out here

Baulkolites.com is going to close - my new site is MyNoelLights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many DMX Universes on a Controller - running E131 or Stand Alone

You didn't say what it would drive. If not for pixels then I would guess the increased count isn't quite as necessary. If you're talking pixels then 8 sounds like a good sweet spot. There are already 4 and 8 E1.31 universe pixel controllers and I have a sneaking suspicion that Jim is working on a bigger E68x controller since the newer Wiznet module supports more sockets allowing more universes.

Be warned you'll probably get lots of answers from 1 to 100...
    Last edited by budude; 06-08-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Currently there are 4 universes (e68x), 8 universes (ECG-PIXAD8) and 12 universes (ECG-P12R) controllers available, there will also be a 2 output 8 universe model coming out soon (ECG-P2), so there are many variations already in existance for different channel capacity.

The number of universes and outputs supported will be determined by the use of the controllers, either being a centalized or distributed setup.

For a standalone setup i would tend to think that 4 universes would be a good balance between cost and function
    [SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.averyeddyxmas.com"]WWW.[COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Green"]VERY[/COLOR][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]EDDY[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]XMAS[/COLOR].com[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php[/url]

Download the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual from [url]http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html[/url]

Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Post Thanks / Like

Attached is a couple of shots of an adapter board that will allow the use of an 8-universe WIZ820 module in a socket designed for a 4-universe WIZ812 module. The adapter measures 1"x1". It's shown with the WIZ820 module mounted. This is intended to be an upgrade path for existing E681s to expand their capacity from 4 to as many as 8 universes.

This same adapter should be compatible with the prop controller as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jstjohnz; 06-15-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the PIXEL PROJECT
    www.sandevices.com
    <-email jim at

Post Thanks / Like

Well aren't you the clever one! So how would the grouping work with the outputs since it's a group of four per socket/universe now?
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

It's not necessarily 4 per universe, but that is the default configuration. Each of the 4 clusters of outputs (and each cluster is 4 pixel outputs) has a starting DMX address that consists of a socket number (1-4 or 1-8) and a slot number within that socket (1-508). The total number of DMX addresses used by any cluster is a function of the number of defined strings in that cluster (1-4) and the length of those strings. If a cluster has more than 170 total pixels then the DMX address range for that cluster will span more than 1 universe.
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the PIXEL PROJECT
    www.sandevices.com
    <-email jim at

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow Batman! Kapow! that sure is a game changer. Makes me super thankful I went this route.
    Matt

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out here

Baulkolites.com is going to close - my new site is MyNoelLights.com

Post Thanks / Like

So if I'm correct - my mega tree that I purchased 2 E681s for (32 strands of 42 pixels each), if I purchased one of the adapter and a WIZ820 , I could have 16 strands of 84 pixels (join the data of two strings at the top and power from the bottom) and use the other E681 for more pixels (can never have to many pixels). COOL - when do they go on sale? How much do they cost? Is there an option to purchase the WIX820 from you as well? Does the software upgrade via the web interface or do I need a new EPROM? If I need a new EPROM do they come in the kit? Am I correct in thinking that an 8 universe setup would still support 25mS timing with the 12 bit addressed pixels?
    2 X E681 running 8 universes of 3001s as a 32s x 42p mega tree or a 96s x 14p matrix hanging from my guttering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast