Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jumbo Tree Ornaments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jumbo Tree Ornaments

dirknerkle,

Are you driving each ornament directly from the Ren48LSD board or through a DCSSR?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganLights View Post
    dirknerkle,

Are you driving each ornament directly from the Ren48LSD board or through a DCSSR?
    Direct from the 48LSD. Since it's only RGB and I'm not using the Ren48 breakout boards, I'm actually wasting one channel (the W one) out of each RJ45 jack, too, and only using 3 of each set of RJ45 channels. So while technically you can get 16 sets of RGB channels out of a 48LSD for 16 jumbo ornaments, I'm just putting one jumbo ornament on each RJ45 jack, so I'll only get 12 ornaments out of the controller. I'm wayyyyyy too lazy to rip the controller apart or build a dozen short cat5 cables to connect to a breakout board...

Instead, and if I get energetic, I may put 6 DIGWDF HeadBlinkers inside a CG1000 box for 48 channels along with a 12v power supply and solder the cat5 wires into the holes where headers would normally go. This would give me a small, wireless (4"x 6") 48-channel LED driver for 16 jumbo ornaments.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Direct from the 48LSD. Since it's only RGB and I'm not using the Ren48 breakout boards, I'm actually wasting one channel (the W one) out of each RJ45 jack, too, and only using 3 of each set of RJ45 channels. So while technically you can get 16 sets of RGB channels out of a 48LSD for 16 jumbo ornaments, I'm just putting one jumbo ornament on each RJ45 jack, so I'll only get 12 ornaments out of the controller. I'm wayyyyyy too lazy to rip the controller apart or build a dozen short cat5 cables to connect to a breakout board...

Instead, and if I get energetic, I may put 6 DIGWDF HeadBlinkers inside a CG1000 box for 48 channels along with a 12v power supply and solder the cat5 wires into the holes where headers would normally go. This would give me a small, wireless (4"x 6") 48-channel LED driver for 16 jumbo ornaments.
    You could run the cat5 from the 48LSD out to the tree, then the breakout board in a TA200 with outputs to the ornaments in the tree. Save some cat5 runs and get more ornaments. Win-Win and no baby cat5 cables.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon, Brian! That's too sensible of an idea for me to do that! Why do something that makes good sense when you could do it the hard way?

You going to the Mini?

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    C'mon, Brian! That's too sensible of an idea for me to do that! Why do something that makes good sense when you could do it the hard way?

You going to the Mini?
    Yes i am going to the mini, it'll be nice to see you again! And I know you would do it wireless so my comment was for the lurkers. ;-)

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Working on my Jumbo Ornaments for the trees at the bottom of my drive (1000 feet away). I am also using a 48LSD, RenW and am going to power it with 2 of my 6 volt golf cart deep cycle batteries. I am in the build process, but so excited to show off that it's working! Here's some pics and a very short video on my workbench. IMG_20130910_212420_520.jpg
    Sorry about the weird spacing on this post. Not sure why it's all spaced out. Must be me that's spacy. Also, I can't seem to see the video, so trying to do a youtube upload.http://youtu.be/yfgh4PA6QlI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnpdo; 09-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][COLOR="#0000FF"][COLOR="#0000FF"]First year: 2011 Christmas 24 Channels with Ren SS24
    2nd year: Building 4 Ren SS24's, 3 Ren 64's, 32 Dirk SSR4's, 8 Rev 6's, and 6 RenServo's
    Vixen 2.1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

How do you cut them so perfect?
    01/01/2014 : 2014 will be my first year - Currently 32 channels and no idea what I'm doing.
    01/27/2014 : 64 Channels (What have I gotten myself into??), moving along nicely with Vixen 2.1.1.0. (4 minutes sequenced of about 15 I'm hoping for)
    02/10/2014 : 48 Renard SS16 Channels (Built), 16 TeensyLights16 Channels (Built), 64 Renard SS16 Channels (Ordered), 48 Ren48LSD Channels (In Pieces), FM02 FM Modulator (Built).... I'm gonna need more lights!!!

[IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/download/vixen_2(2)/banners/vixensig144.gif[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for mine, but I did it with a LOT of straight razors. I downloaded geometric designs from somewhere I googled, and then printed them off. Cut them up and traced them on the coroplast with a pencil. Cut with the razor and glued, glued, glued.......and glued. It was my favorite part of my show this year. I had them at the end of my drive 1000' away running of a 12 volt deep cycle battery. It would last about 2 days, then I would charge it and go again.
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][COLOR="#0000FF"][COLOR="#0000FF"]First year: 2011 Christmas 24 Channels with Ren SS24
    2nd year: Building 4 Ren SS24's, 3 Ren 64's, 32 Dirk SSR4's, 8 Rev 6's, and 6 RenServo's
    Vixen 2.1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

It would probably look even better if you had used some hot glue here & there....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    It would probably look even better if you had used some hot glue here & there....
    HAH! I can't even begin to tell you how much hot glue I used for my jumbo ornaments!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234