Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low-Amp SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low-Amp SSR

Just an experiment so far, but because a single-channel prototype worked fine I thought I'd go the next step and build an 8-channel low-amp A/C ssr. This is a takeoff on Ernie Horning's use of the MOC3023 to control lights directly, eliminating the triacs completely since the MOC alone can apparently handle up to 1A. Obviously it's less expensive and quicker to build. Size: 3.75" x 2"

One sacrifice I had to make was running the A/C power trace beneath the optos. Hated to do that but realistically couldn't come up with another way to do it conveniently on a single-sided board. I reasoned that my plan is to use these with one string of LEDs per channel, so there won't be much current on the board at all and it'll probably work okay. Still, I hated to do it that way because it's a bad idea... I built one and if it tests out, I'll cover the hot traces with either liquid tape or hot glue for more safety and isolation from potential moisture.

I etched 3 boards -- the right two still have the toner on them while the left one is cleaned and ready to assemble. Also shown -- the completed prototype.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Low-Amp SSR

If running tracks under the optos seems like a bad idea, it probably is.
    www.da-share.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_AVD View Post
    If running tracks under the optos seems like a bad idea, it probably is.
    I couldn't agree with you more, David! Sometimes with a single-sided board you run out of options though...

Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, the valid option is don't make it in that case. LOL
    www.da-share.com

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, so a single string of LEDS (70 count) rated at .04amps or even a single string of INCANs (70 count) rated at .44 amps will work just fine for this design?
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, apparently. I tested it with a string of 100 incans (.39A) and it worked fine, so I'd imagine .44A would work, too. The MOC is rated up to 1A but I'd sure keep it less than half of that for a little headroom... And the string of LEDs was 100-ct. How 'bout that?!?!?!

Oh, and it'd be better to move the tracing from beneath the optos, of course...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dirk

This straight off/on or does it work with dimming as well?

99% of my current display runs 1 string or Incans or LEDs per channel, dropping off the Triac would save some bucks on a retrofit.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Works just fine with dimming. In fact, it could conceivably eliminate some of the flickering issues that happen with the bigger triacs.

This was Ernie Horning's idea, by the way -- he's a wizard!!!

Post Thanks / Like

are you going to put this in the copper file of the library? I would like to make one to try it. would work good for arches!

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody else seems concerned by the lack of LV / HV clearance?
    www.da-share.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast