Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Basic Skills are Required?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Basic Skills are Required?

Would it be helpful to someone who's standing on the edge of the E1.31 diving platform to know what basic skills they should know before taking the leap? One thought that comes to mind is that they should understand basic computer networking via TCP/IP, and have some sort of grasp about how to connect to devices that are addressed using IP only.

Any comments out there?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Basic Skills are Required?

Deep pockets.

But yes, networking can kill anyone's fun. I think if you can set up a router like a Linksys or Netgear manually, your are off to a great start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigredsoftware View Post
    Deep pockets.
    Hehe - good one.
    I think almost anyone nowadays can connect a cable to a switch and set up a simple network - we don't talk about decoding a Wireshark trace here

Post Thanks / Like

Yes..definitely a basic understanding of networking would help the newbie and oldie too.

We take the automatic nature of today's computing for granted. All the wizards make it easy to plug and play, but the minute we attempt anything beyond that, one can get easily stumped.

A tutorial on basic networking would fit the bill. Explain the ins and outs of manually setting up a LAN would go a long way to understanding the backbone of DMX over Ethernet.

My 2 cents..
    Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

dmx!
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Would it be helpful to someone who's standing on the edge of the E1.31 diving platform to know what basic skills they should know before taking the leap? One thought that comes to mind is that they should understand basic computer networking via TCP/IP, and have some sort of grasp about how to connect to devices that are addressed using IP only.

Any comments out there?
    Knowing definitely helps or knowing someone who has networking skills.
    I for one have minimal networking knowledge, and without the help of some newly found friends (thanks again ) I may still be messing with my E681.
    If I had went with “pre-configured" RGB pixels I think it would have went a lot smoother... But NOOOOO gotta have the different ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Yes..definitely a basic understanding of networking would help the newbie and oldie too.

We take the automatic nature of today's computing for granted. All the wizards make it easy to plug and play, but the minute we attempt anything beyond that, one can get easily stumped.

A tutorial on basic networking would fit the bill. Explain the ins and outs of manually setting up a LAN would go a long way to understanding the backbone of DMX over Ethernet.

My 2 cents..
    Lightman
    I couldn't agree more. A lot most people take DHCP for granted and don't know what is really going on. Once you get into manually configuring networks a lot of people get confused.

Post Thanks / Like

How about an understanding of how IP multicasting works, and having the networking equipment and devices that support it?

Post Thanks / Like

You also need a good understanding of voltage drop, power injection and distance the pixel data can travel, but that can be said about pixels in general
    [SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.averyeddyxmas.com"]WWW.[COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Green"]VERY[/COLOR][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]EDDY[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]XMAS[/COLOR].com[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php[/url]

Download the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual from [url]http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html[/url]

Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Post Thanks / Like

I knew this thread topic would get a little traction... That's why I posted it.

After seeing all the threads about E this and E that, and this pixel, and that pixel, and communication problems, and connectivity problems, and... and... and...

Maybe I'm out of line here, but I thought it might be a good idea to have a place where a typical homeowner can go who's dazzled by the RGB-pixel displays and says, "I GOTTA HAVE THAT!" only to find out how far over his head some of this stuff is... at least until he/she gets a basic skill set to deal with it.

This is a completely different ball game than simply taking a string of lights out of a package, wrapping them on a bush and plugging them into a socket...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast