Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Video for newbies on how to use Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by tonypgst
    This is just what this noob needed! Thank you for taking the time to help others. I'm getting more and more confident in this endeavor. 2008 will be my first try at this. It is the hard work of everyone who posts here that keeps me saying I can do this myself.

Regards,
    Chin up, we commonly have folks how have never held a soldering iron before, from non technical backgrounds who do just fine with a little help from others.

Well all, after the addition of #17 in the first post, I think I'm done with Vixen how-to videos for now, I can't think of anything you'd need at the moment. So let me know if we need to add to this. I'm calling it done for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave I gotta just say that this is probably the most informative thing I've seen in pouring over the many different websites, forums and posts!!

I dabbled around with Vixen for days and I have no idea how long it wouold have taken me to learn those shortcuts and tricks on my own!

these vids have done 2 things for me, gave me the confidence to do DIY and put me in the direction of the XMUS Renard 16 board. Seeing how you set them up and actually seeing the awesome enclosures you made (both the BillAd design and your Bazooka) really gives me something to work towards.

thanks SO much!!

now I need to get in on those co-ops!

I need to watch through them again, but is there any special setup that needs to be done in vixen when you are daisy chaining these boards? I saw you had 5 on each com, but I didn't see if there was anything that needed to be done to each board in the chain to let it know what channel each one represented. Probably a dumb noob question.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muttley
    Dave I gotta just say that this is probably the most informative thing I've seen in pouring over the many different websites, forums and posts!!

I dabbled around with Vixen for days and I have no idea how long it wouold have taken me to learn those shortcuts and tricks on my own!

these vids have done 2 things for me, gave me the confidence to do DIY and put me in the direction of the XMUS Renard 16 board. Seeing how you set them up and actually seeing the awesome enclosures you made (both the BillAd design and your Bazooka) really gives me something to work towards.

thanks SO much!!

now I need to get in on those co-ops!

I need to watch through them again, but is there any special setup that needs to be done in vixen when you are daisy chaining these boards? I saw you had 5 on each com, but I didn't see if there was anything that needed to be done to each board in the chain to let it know what channel each one represented. Probably a dumb noob question.

Neil
    I'm pleased you like the videos Neil.

The controllers have no idea where they are on the serial chain, or on which com port they are on. They are dumb. You just configure vixen and hook up the CAT5 cable, any controller will work anywhere on the chain. Does that help? So for example, the first controller on com1 is ch1-ch16, because it is FIRST (not because you program the controller to be ch1-ch16) and the second controller is ch17-32 because it is SECOND (Again it is dumb, it just listens for serial data). It is the _ORDER_ of the controllers that determines channel number.

Post Thanks / Like

This should be in the Vixen area of the wiki.
    Possibly Here,...

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...n_How-To's

Or Here,.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...al_Information
    If you are not a supporting member please consider Becoming an Active Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmus

The controllers have no idea where they are on the serial chain, or on which com port they are on. They are dumb. You just configure vixen and hook up the CAT5 cable, any controller will work anywhere on the chain. Does that help? So for example, the first controller on com1 is ch1-ch16, because it is FIRST (not because you program the controller to be ch1-ch16) and the second controller is ch17-32 because it is SECOND (Again it is dumb, it just listens for serial data). It is the _ORDER_ of the controllers that determines channel number.
    you know I figured it had to be something so beautifully simple!

seriously the time and effort you put into these are the reason I'm going DIY. They were amazing helpful.

If you ever find yourself in Texas or I find myself in Idaho...the Burgers and Beers (Root or any other variety) are on me. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I posted the list of videos in wiki as suggested, under "Vixen how to"

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done XMUS
    I am a noob and have found these very useful

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

xmus, thank you very much for the tut.. clears up a lot.. Like the others, I was doing the waveform analysis and plotting the on/offs to the actual music.. long, tedious..

Thanks

teege
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [FONT=book antiqua]aka Jack Sparrow.. [/FONT][QUOTE][I][FONT=book antiqua]..there should be a "Captain" in there somewhere , I should think.. [/FONT][/I][/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

XMUS,

YOU ARE A LEGEND.

Terry
    TC. I could be anything, if I had the talent. :mrgreen:

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question. If I understand correctly I assume that the ramp on - off, shimmer etc functions won't work with the Grinch controller? You would need to have a controller that dims?
    Cheers, Terry
    TC. I could be anything, if I had the talent. :mrgreen:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast