Thread: Inverter for RV

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inverter for RV

I'm looking for a 12Vdc to 120Vac inverter for my RV. Just to run a few electronics (TV, DVD, laptop etc...) any suggestions on where to find a good and reasonably priced unit.

Thanks,

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inverter for RV

having done this myself, i'd first check to see if anything you want to power up can be run on the 12V.. Good chance your laptop can be, with an car adaptor. TV's and DVD players may be as well.. You'll get much longer battery life this way, as the conversions from DC to AC back to DC all add up... Though its easy! F

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a 12Vdc to 120Vac inverter for my RV.
    Having fitted them to US imports to the UK on and off for ten years, they are more hassle than they are worth. That said I have one in my works van, it is 1500W and I have 3 x 110 amp hour 12 volt batteries that charge from the alternator to run it. I’m a sparky and often have to work on sights with no power.
    Before purchasing I would advise looking at the loads and how long you would run them for. If you need 5 amps for 2 hours at 120 volts. That is 10 amp hours at 120 volts which is equal to 100 amp hours at 12 volts plus a bit for losses.
    In general you will need additional batteries to run an inverter (depends on loads and maximum discharge rates).
    2 X E681 running 8 universes of 3001s as a 32s x 42p mega tree or a 96s x 14p matrix hanging from my guttering.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a small and very quiet Honda 1kW generator which uses a cup of petrol an hour if that, and you hardly notice the noise... It was the best option.. It also will charge up 12V batterys.. Little bit of hassle with fuel and exhaust, but its a lot less hassle in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the "petrol" that you speak of and where can one obtain this magical elixer?

"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

The cheaper inverters are modified sinewave and some electronics don't like modified sinewave. A true sinewave inverter is pricey. Camping World is a good source but a litle too pricey. I but lots of stuff from RVUpgrades and occasionally from PPLmotorhomes. I bought a decent inverter several years back from Sams Club and another from Walmart and both were modified sinewave style. Inverters by nature of they way they work draw a tremendous amount of current and will deplete batteries very quickly.