Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android takes a hit...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Android takes a hit...

Looks like the android phone popularity may have peaked... and... there are some hard feelings brewing...
    Now I don't feel so bad with my nearly 3-year old Blackberry....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/im-...42?tag=nl.e539
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Android takes a hit...

I think with the Google acquisition of Motorola Mobility (the cell phone arm) in the works... I think things will change. There will still be market fragmentation, as this is what open source gives us, but I think there will be a more unified look with the ICS OS. I was not happy with Motorola, until they pushed out the OS upgrade for the Droid2's a few months ago, but now the phone is so much better, and they pushed another update last week....

Android will never "peek," as the phones normally cost less (some will say less features, but most end users don't care), and there are choices. I loved my blackberry, but wish they would wake up and move forward in development!!!!!

Besides, as others have posted, it costs $100 to post an app to iTunes, $25 to the Android Market (now Android Play), so for small developers, Android is the way to keep costs down

Post Thanks / Like

What I miss most about my BB is the way it handled Exchange mail. On BB you get all mail into your mail inbox including those with server side filter/rules. On Android you have to open the folder to see if you have mail.
    Matt

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out here

Baulkolites.com is going to close - my new site is MyNoelLights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Because one internet blogger is upset android is dying? I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't like 'em, but I could probably show you an equal amount of people that hate blackberry, iphone, windows phone, or anything else for that matter!

Interesting read though because I share some of his viewpoints about the fragmented ecosystem. I don't necessarily blame google for that. They allowed it by making a beautifully open system. The carriers bastardized it because they're control freaks. I work for large satellite provider and they do the same thing. All content providers (be they cell phone service, or television/movie providers, etc.) do this. They want so much control over the "content" that they hold back technology and innovation.
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Materdaddy View Post
    ... I could probably show you.. that hate .. iphone,
    Ok, thats impossible. Everybody loves iphone. None more than the people that don't' have one..

:-) isn't that why they camp outside apple stores for four days before they are released?

Post Thanks / Like

The people who hate it are there... but they still buy them as status symbols.... You have no idea how many times I hear people curs at the on screen keyboard for mis-types

Post Thanks / Like

I think one thing this Ziff-Davis writer exposes is the contrast of extremes of "control" of the OS. We blast Microsoft for keeping such a tight leash on it's core and Apple's control isn't far behind, but when a truly open OS appears, anarchy seems to develop because of the lack of control and greed, resulting in unhappy and confused customers.

Pretty interesting stuff.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

It is that same fragmentation that is keeping general Linux from replacing Windows. Google HAS tried to keep fragmentation from happening, (Honycomb on tablets is an example) and their licensing for use of Android is pretty clear, but because the target hardware is so fragmented, it is impossible to keep the OS from doing the same. Windows, up to Win7, has the "advantage" of a reasonably standardized X86 hardware base, but that is changing with Win8 so watch for the seams to let loose there, so says my crystal ball... ;-)
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    What I miss most about my BB is the way it handled Exchange mail. On BB you get all mail into your mail inbox including those with server side filter/rules. On Android you have to open the folder to see if you have mail.
    Not on my Galaxy S, I get a little icon at the top of the display if there's mail. Even different icon for each email account. I don't even have to logon, just turn on the display and see if the icon is there.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I think one thing this Ziff-Davis writer...
    I think that's the key thing... Z-D have long been MS's publicity arm, and with MS rolling out a tablet-oriented OS, it's timely to take a dig at the opposition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast