Thread: Hanging lights in high places - what do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hanging lights in high places - what do you use?

I'd like to hang lights high up in my trees, higher on the house, etc.

I looked into an aerial lift, but was dissuaded by the $250 per day rental, and 3-day $79 certification course.

I currently use a 28' ladder for the peak of the house (works but it uber heavy), but it won't work for tall trees (unless you're more creative/got bigger -um - well anyway).

So what do YOU use?
    16 channels all Grinch (2008)
    48 channels, 32 Grinch + 16 Renard (2009)
    104 channels of Renard (2010)
    168 channels of Renard (2011)

somewhere about 22,000 LED's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hanging lights in high places - what do you use?

Last year I used a sling shot with fishing line tied to the light string on one end and a fishing weight on the other. I'd shoot the weight over branches, then just pull the lights up over the branch. Worked great on a 35' evergreen tree. Of course, you need to use some pretty strong fishing line.... I used some 60# muskie line and it was plenty strong... A 60# line will actually pull about 130 pounds...

To keep it up there, it's easy just to anchor the fishing line to a strong stake in the ground or another bush, tree, etc.
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 03-08-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

never thought of that dirk nice
    not so new but still learning!

Post Thanks / Like

here is what i use002.JPG it a rolling scffold

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 30 foot hot stick. If you know anyone that works for an electric utility, you could probably borrow one.

Post Thanks / Like

We use emt to make a pole. Starts t 1 inch, than a 3/4 is inside of the 1" pipe by a couple of feet. I have duck tape wrapped round the smaller pipe, and the two pieces of pipe is connected by putting one end against something an tapping the other end;which makes the pipe permanently one pipe. Then we have a hook on the end. For hoigh places we use a 10' ladder and this pieces of pipe to reach up high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    here is what i use002.JPG it a rolling scffold
    That is quite a scaffold you have there. Wish I could find something similar.

I am thinking about renting a lift with bucket for the weekend and get some of the neighbors to pitch in th split the costs. We could take turns using it.

Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

I am thinking about renting a lift with bucket for the weekend and get some of the neighbors to pitch in th split the costs. We could take turns using it.

Lightman
    well to tell the truth my cousin across the road had a truck shop build it belonged to the contractor the shop was build over a year ago he left it on site.and never returned to retrieve it my cousin being how he is' didn't want junking up his yard 'he told me to come get it if i wanted it (this being after 10 months i did not hesitate after checking with the local magistrate of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

Lightman
    Exactly what we do. Works nicely. Just a tip though, stick with the gas/diesel ones. We got an electric one for setup last year thinking we'd save on fuel costs and the hydrolics weren't as powerful so that sometimes when you stopped moving the controls the bucket would continue to drift for another foot or two before stopping. Luckily we ran into one of the palm trees and not our tile roof before finding this out. Switched back to the diesel for tear down.

http://www.amistosolights.com/blog/w...ranetoeves.jpg

-joni-
    2013 Plans: Convert to pixels!
    http://amistosolights.com