Thread: Hack for walmart multi-function yard stake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hack for walmart multi-function yard stake

HAS ANYONE HACKED THIS UNIT? I woudl liek to try to use it for sending power to other controllers. Or even use it as an SSR like device...I have four of them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hack for walmart multi-function yard stake

I think it just might already do the first part of your requirement of sending power to other controllers... 1 power in to three outlets out. As far as making it an SSR, that is a big stretch. If the timer switches a relay, then it is not so good for switching blinky-flashy at the rates one maight want to do nor would it be dimable. If it uses a triac, hacking in the opto to control it is theroetically possible but I would bet that would be a major PITA for a single controlled output. Breaking up the insides so the three sockets could be controllable is likely also a huge pain, and fairly impractical. That is just a guess...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

The three outlets can be controlled via 4 different lighting programs (chase, blinking, random and full on)... They may have dimmed too but I dont remember for sure.....the timer activates it.. also has a light sensor to turn i ton when it gets dark!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting- that does sound like triac controlled. There is probably a little potted microcontroller in there that runs the triacs. To use this under Vixen control you would need to break that internal micro control (and the timer capability I'd bet) and feed in the control signals from the Renard series that needs the external SSRs... That makes it a bit more practical to do if you already have these, but what do these normally cost??
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one for 19.98 and then a second post christmas for $5.00... I was hoping I coudl find more.... but I wasn't fast enough... I have not cracked it open yet....