Thread: What size drill bits for PCB work

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size drill bits for PCB work

What size of drill bits do i need to get for making PCB's? Is there a fairly basic few bits i will need? I'm going to drilling a few Simple Renard 32 PCB out and what to use the right size of bits.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What size drill bits for PCB work

You need little ones. Wire drills. I've bought a lot from widgetsupply.com -- and they actually last quite a long time, yet they're super-cheap. You get ten bits in a little tube for about $3.

You'll need different sizes, so check the pads on your PCB layout to find out the sizes of the holes. Then order appropriate bits.

Here's a link to widgetsupply's dremel bit page...

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...bit-wire-gauge
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use a drill press, make sure it will actually hold the bit. My little Sears press couldn't tighten down on the real little ones (I think #72 or so) but my new Jet has no problem. A dremel type press probably won't have an issue. Drilling is the only reason I don't make more of my own boards - ugh...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    A dremel type press probably won't have an issue. Drilling is the only reason I don't make more of my own boards - ugh...
    I leave the toner on the board after etching because it aids as sort of a drill guide. It allows me to hand-hold the Dremel and zip, done! I don't remove the toner until just before I'm ready to build the board, too, and the toner prevents the copper traces from oxydizing from the open air. I've had boards that I etched 2 or 3 years ago and finally decided to build, removed the toner and the copper is nice and clean!
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

These work?
    I thought HSS bits dulled instantly for this work and that you needed to buy the carbide drills.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    You need little ones. Wire drills. I've bought a lot from widgetsupply.com -- and they actually last quite a long time, yet they're super-cheap. You get ten bits in a little tube for about $3.

You'll need different sizes, so check the pads on your PCB layout to find out the sizes of the holes. Then order appropriate bits.

Here's a link to widgetsupply's dremel bit page...

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...bit-wire-gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    These work?
    I thought HSS bits dulled instantly for this work and that you needed to buy the carbide drills.
    Yep. Oh they do dull after a while, but I've drilled a couple hundred holes with a single bit, and they're so cheap, you can just throw them out.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 4.0 mm would cover you for almost everything. You'll need to use a drill press for the small ones, or you'll just break them.

Post Thanks / Like

For home made board I have pretty much standardised on 0.8, 1.2 and 3.2mm dia. Every thing gets drilled out at 0.8 first. I then step out to the larger drills where needed.
    Carbide is good but I break them too quickly. They as very intolerant of any lateral movement with drilling. I found I was getting ready to move to the next hole too soon.
    On a drill press you use the highest speed selection.
    Matt

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out here

Baulkolites.com is going to close - my new site is MyNoelLights.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use these drill bits.. They will get dull and break after a few hundred holes but they work well enough for me. They are cheap and I have a store right down the road from my work.
    Blinky Flashy on a budget since 2009
    2009: 32 channels of Grench
    2010: 80 channels of home etched Ren-16 Simple and Home etched SSRneons.
    [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/user2720474/videos"]My videos [/URL]