Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I will stick wtih 2.5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looks like I will stick wtih 2.5

Thanks for the response..... I have no doubt that it is powerful and can indeed save lots of effort..... and I do appreciate that fact.....and I think that's why I'm frustrated.....when you get something that has this much flexibility it is often, by necessity, more complitated to use.... I am in awe of the guys who developed this.....I'm just frustrated with myself for not being able to figure it out better..... Like I inferred above.....if you don't really know what you're trying to do or what the capabilities are that you're shooting for it's frustrating....I don't know what to expect or look for...Older versions were immediately intuative to me....and I was able to experiment on my own because I understood what I was looking to do....with this one...not so much..

I do, however, very much appreciate what is being done....I imagine that, as time goes by and upgrades are added, the complexity will become more transparent and that even folks of my limited software programming intuitiveness will find it easy to use.....
    Last edited by Santacarl; 03-03-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response..... I have no doubt that it is powerful and can indeed save lots of effort..... and I do appreciate that fact.....and I think that's why I'm frustrated.....when you get something that has this much flexibility it is often, by necessity, more complitated to use.... I am in awe of the guys who developed this.....I'm just frustrated with myself for not being able to figure it out better..... Like I inferred above.....if you don't really know what you're trying to do or what the capabilities are that you're shooting for it's frustrating....I don't know what to expect or look for...Older versions were immediately intuative to me....and I was able to experiment on my own because I understood what I was looking to do....with this one...not so much..
    Hi, Iím a new to this too. I looked at vixen 3.0 and can see that there will be lots of advantages to it. That said 3.0 is only in beta. Most beta releases are only available to a select few and for testing purposes. Normally people with extensive knowledge of the subject. Not generally open to the public like this is. As you state "Older versions were immediately intuative to me" they where finished releases.

So Iíve come to the conclusion: beta is not meant for me and as such I will stay away from 3.0 until the developers tell me itís ready, at which time Iím sure there will be comprehensive instruction to go with it.
    Iím hoping to sequence in 3.0 for this Christmases show, but Iím using 2.1 to try out effects and saving them as small blocks so that if 3.0 doesnít come off, I can cut and paste to produce a show and a lot of the hard work will be done.

Donít beat yourself up over something thatís not meant for general public use, the user interface and manual are often the last bits to be done and I'm sure that 3.0 will be as easy if not better when fully released.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 03-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's gotta be hard for the developers to have newbs like me chomping at the bit to learn about the latest and greatest effects and genius they put into 3.0. I'm playing in it myself today...can't wait any longer! LOL I think it's the greatest thing that KC and the development team came up with Vixen in the first place, and 3.0 sounds amazing. It's just hard to see a shiny new blinky flashy tool and not be able to dive in yet. I'm going to try and scratch up some $$ to donate to the effort to help it along. I'm sure it's born on hours and hours of volunteer work.
    Alex

X3 Ren48LSD, X4 Ren16SS, X2 Ren24SS, X1 SRen32, FM-02, E1.31 Bridge
    X36 Super Strips, X9 Dumb RGB Mini Trees, ~25K lights (mostly LED)
    Pixel Mega Tree with 1600 pixels (4800 channels) run with an E682
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2vaffhe.jpg[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do any preparation work for a 'real' display with the current beta that's available. We're discussing some architectural changes (based on the feedback from this thread, bug tickets and feature requests that have been filed, etc.), and we can't guarantee that it will be compatible. The beta was really only put out there as an request for comment -- for which it did its job perfectly. Lots of comments, feedback, and improvements based on it. :-)

Just don't know *when* the next version will be out, but hopefully it will be reasonable. I wouldn't want to put a date on it at all though, KC might have some other thoughts on it. I'll ping him in the next few days and hopefully we can get something figured out.
    Posted over on the Vixen 3.0 thread today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Posted over on the Vixen 3.0 thread today.
    Thanks for posting that......hadn't seen that yet. I am relieved and hopeful. I guess the beta was geared more for the 'tester' types than end user types. Guess I should have known that.....beta by definition is like that.... I think the past 2.X betas had me spoiled.....they were intuative enough for an end user type to wade through....

On a side note...... Just as I was thinking about giving up on 3.0 it suddenly came to me last night as I was contemplating a mini-tree setup. I was looking at creating a pyramid of mini trees in the shape of a Christmas tree and was thinking on the possiblities of how to sequence them......I started thinking about chases, groups, cascades and suddenly the light came on.....3.0 is set up like that.....a tiered approach........... DOAH....

I feel pretty silly right now....I think maybe my reliance on 2.X was blinding me.....the new terminology (nodes etc.) in 3.0 seemed foreign and didn't translate directly to what I was used to..... My applolgies to the development folks.... If I ruffled anyone's feathers with my original post and criticism I did not mean to "bite the hand that feeds me".... I am thankful for all you guys do and the hard work you have put in on this project....and I am sincere about that..... You guys are part of my effort to bring cheer to my community every year and every time I fire up the show you are out there with me...... Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

I did a similar thing and then when I had chance I tried a different approach. I outlined my suggestions here:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Vixen-3-0-Beta
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

A few months from now when things are more firmed up, we'll all be looking at 2.1/2.5 in the rear view mirror.

If 3.x is the future, I'll deal with the pain. My show is smaller than some (~250 channels), so I can be a bit more nimble. I also have more flexibility than someone with way more channels, since I can wait a bit longer before sequencing.

If you're having to sequence now to make Christmas, I can understand your frustration.
    16 channels all Grinch (2008)
    48 channels, 32 Grinch + 16 Renard (2009)
    104 channels of Renard (2010)
    168 channels of Renard (2011)

somewhere about 22,000 LED's

Post Thanks / Like

If 3.x is the future, I'll deal with the pain. My show is smaller than some (~250 channels), so I can be a bit more nimble. I also have more flexibility than someone with way more channels, since I can wait a bit longer before sequencing.
    Any which way you go, you will have spent the incisive period designing your show (if only in your head) so there’s no down time. You never know the waiting for Vixen 3.x might be a bonus in the fact it gives us all time to think instead of do.

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen 2.1 executes flawlessly for me and I'm really at the comfort zone with it.
    As I get older, I recognize I curmudgeonly avoid leaving these technological comfy points for every new hardware, software, twitter, tweety, next version thing that arrives seemingly weekly.
    Oh, I'll get to 3.0 alright. And probably be just as blown away as I am with 2.1
    Till then, it's warm and cozy where I am. I'll let the energetic youth resolve and refine 3.0
    Now get off my lawn.
    [SIZE=1] [FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Courier New] i can quit this addictive hobby anytime after the next project [/FONT][/FONT] [/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DIY Sparks View Post
    Now get off my lawn.
    Sorry, was just looking at the lights!

-joni-
    2015 Plans: More pixels, add more Komby radios, and weld new props!
    [URL="http://amistosolights.com"]http://amistosolights.com[/URL]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast