Thread: USB to 485 Adapter driver install problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default USB to 485 Adapter driver install problem

I am trying to install the USB to 485 adapter driver to my Dell D820 Laptop but it will not install properly. Comes up with new hardware installation Wizard & in going thru the steps it says it cannot find the drivers installation failed. Has anyone else had a problem installing drivers on a Dell Laptop. The install went fine with no problems on my Desktop Computer & it works. I contacted LOR via support link & they sent me a procedure that I tried but it did not work either. Waiting for a new reply from them. ddd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: USB to 485 Adapter driver install problem

If you haven't already, go to this website: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31 and download the latest Prolific drivers. Seems to resolve almost all issues I have seen or read about with these adapters.

These drivers seem to be less-sensitive to varying USB hardware on different computers.
    Last edited by kychristmas; 03-01-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Heading into my 5th season in 2013

www.ChristmasInKentucky.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried 3 different driver installs from the recomended by LOR ftichip.com VCP drivers. I have a LOR USB to 485 adapter. Will using another companys driver for the LOR adapter be a problem? ddd

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved!!! After several messages thru LOR support with Chuck the problem has been solved. The divers are installed & program is reconizing both of my boards now. Thanks again to Chuck at LOR & great support comminications. Now I just got to get some lights hooked to them & see what will happen then. Far cry from my 12 channel parallel port stuff I had last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it solved. It would be helpful to others to tell what the solution was and how you got there.
    dirknerkle

The DIGWDF Store is the place to go for wireless stuff for Renard... controllers, adapters... or other junk that
    nobody else would probably ever make. It's all in stock right now at http://diychristmas.org/store

Post Thanks / Like

What I think the MAIN problliem was that when I was doing a search I had the Max unit ID # set to 5 & it would not find the controller. The adapter apparently was installed & reconized but it couldnot find the controller being present. These units I have were used one time by another person & I got them from him. I did get the units to set there #'s 01 & 02 but I think it may have not been able to find them because the Max unit restriction was not letting it scan far enough to find them. When LOR advised to set the Max unit ID to F0 if then found the unit number. They now come up as unit 01 & 02 but say device unknown & no firmware number/version after that. LOR says as long as it is finding the unit it should work not to worry about the unknown devilce or the firmware number/version. Now I have to try to get some output wires installed & see if the lights will do there thing. Bud