Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converted MiniATX Power Supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Converted MiniATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    The tutorial I followed when converting my PS mentioned putting a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor across one of the 5v leads and ground. Keeps a constant load on the PS.
    I woluld re-load all rails to test

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    The tutorial I followed when converting my PS mentioned putting a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor across one of the 5v leads and ground. Keeps a constant load on the PS.
    We must have followed the same tutorial ... same here and they work like a charm. Its an extremely easy mod, plus I got 6 free ATXs ... makes this pretty hard to beat.

EDIT: Here is the tutorial I used. Another member on here, can't remember who, recommended this one to me.
    Last edited by Imperialkid; 03-03-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added the tutorial I used.
    [IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/320/All.gif[/IMG]

Taking a Hiatus, but still in lurking status ... ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    Using the -12 and the +3.3 should do that.
    I played around with this last night and i did finally get it to work (after causing the PSU to shut down a few times). I jumpered a resistor between -12V and +3.3V and between Ground and -12V and tested the voltages. I was a little surpirsed/curious though at where i measured the +15V at, it was on the resistor between the -12V and +3.3V posts. It has been a while since the DC circuits course that i had, but help me understand why it wouldn't have been +15 on either post to Ground?

Post Thanks / Like

Voltage is a difference of electrical potential so if you have one point at -12 and the other at +3.3 then the difference between them is what you would measure - or 15.3v (give or take). If you measure to ground from either supply you would naturally measure the difference between -12 and 0 or 3.3 and 0.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Voltage is a difference of electrical potential so if you have one point at -12 and the other at +3.3 then the difference between them is what you would measure - or 15.3v (give or take). If you measure to ground from either supply you would naturally measure the difference between -12 and 0 or 3.3 and 0.
    Got it! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.. but what of the current if the power supply says...

-3.3v 2.0A
    12v 15.0A

Does this mean you are actually limited to 2.0A @ 15.3 v??
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12