Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Opinion - Arch - 8 or 9 Channels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your Opinion - Arch - 8 or 9 Channels

There you go- with an arch, you will tend to trigger a sweep (or other effect) on a beat and let it end (closely as possible) on some other beat. Kinda like swinging your arms in the air, like you just don't care...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, we are making this discussion WAY too complex.

The bottom line for me is that YOU have to physically build the arch, and I believe that is the starting point. How big do I want them? What diameter size PVC? What is the length of the light strings I am placing on them, and how many "inches wrapped" does that equate to? Am I even going to use PVC? Do I want it modular for easy storage? Do I want permanently shaped PVC because I have unlimited storage?

For example, you determine that you want an arch that is 9 feet long and 3 feet high ... you are going to need 12 feet of PVC. Your 100ct lights when wrapped cover 18" of PVC, and BAM!!! Based on this, you have an 8 channel arch. You want smaller ones? Use 50ct lights or accept less segments... Your using LED strip you say? Even easier, you can just cut it every 5 or 10 cm for low or high density strips, respectively.

There are enough factors to determine without getting into beats or sequencing. We all probably understand that in general, the more segments there are, the smoother the effect will be. The musical aspects of beats per measure, etc. do "lend" themselves to certain "optimal" segment counts, but it is not definitive. The contoller outputs also somewhat "lend" themselves to certain "optimal" segment counts, but it is not definitive either. Sequencing is sequencing. It's not fun or sexy ... just make it work.

SEMPER LENTESCO ... At the end of the day, everyone will look across the street and say, "WOW, those lights are amazing!!!!" Not, "I am dissapointed that Mr. Umpty-fratz didn't use 9 channels on those archs. Pitiful and a disgrace to Christmas."
    [IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/320/All.gif[/IMG]

Taking a Hiatus, but still in lurking status ... ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Rofl............

Quote Originally Posted by imperialkid View Post

semper lentesco ... At the end of the day, everyone will look across the street and say, "wow, those lights are amazing!!!!" not, "i am dissapointed that mr. Umpty-fratz didn't use 9 channels on those archs. Pitiful and a disgrace to christmas."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually going to build a arch-fan combo. I am looking to see if I keep the Fan structure whole or break it in the middle.

9 segments will span the break while 8 meet it.

I still like 9 - so that is what I will most likely do.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

First year was 2011, I used 8. Some songs i used the top two segments together as if they were one, effectively making it a seven segment arch.

I don't think anyone else will notice, 7, 8 or 9.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHinkle View Post
    I'm actually going to build a arch-fan combo. I am looking to see if I keep the Fan structure whole or break it in the middle.
    9 segments will span the break while 8 meet it.
    I still like 9 - so that is what I will most likely do.
    Thanks for all of your comments.
    Joe
    I've seen several fan's that fold in the middle and some that arches fold with it and some that the arches come off the fan.
    So your options are still open.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

And it is really bad when the arch hits the fan- arch EVERYWHERE... ;-)
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

I used 9 for a very simple reason - - the 70-count LED strings are a bit shorter than 100-count incans and 9 fills a 10' section of 3/4" PVC just right... Each arch has a bell hiding the 12-channel SSR in a CG-1000 box so I use 10 channels and 2 for spares on each arch - these have come in quite handy at times.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same debate. Went with 8, very happy I did. Two SSR's per arch and easy to sequence. my 2.

Anybody use an IPad? Where is the dang cents key?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Canby View Post

Anybody use an IPad? Where is the dang cents key?
    Press and hold the $ sign button, you should get a list of additional symbols.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RGB Mega Tree Plugin: www.varaderolights.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12