Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumables?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Consumables?

Sorry, I have to disagree........ I believe shrink tube is spec'd at it's original state. 1/4" ID shrink tube is 1/4" ID before it is heated. The shrink ratio (usually 2:1 or 3:1) determines the size after heating.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    It's the minimum size after shrinking. If you putting it over something that was 1/2", use 3/4".

Post Thanks / Like

That second link is for 5 different 3 meter lengths, or about 10' which are decent lengths to have on hand... I always seem to need a wide variety of sizes and is a cheap way to find out what is your most favorite size.

As for the size- HUH?
    The spec is the MINIMUM size after shrinking??!? So you mean you want to put 1/2" spec tubing over something that is 1/2" but it starts out unshrunk as 1" (if it is a 2 to 1 type shrink tube??) OK now I am really confused....
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Beer.

Has nobody mentioned this yet?!?!? Geez....

www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

+1
    Sorry, I have to disagree........ I believe shrink tube is spec'd at it's original state. 1/4" ID shrink tube is 1/4" ID before it is heated. The shrink ratio (usually 2:1 or 3:1) determines the size after heating.
    I have all ways ordered at the internal diameter that it is supplied at before you heat it. Then it shrinks by the ratio in the spec (tbh. never quite worked that bit out).
    I have some stock & mostly find that if when you heat it, it doesn't quite fit you can PUT SOME GLOVES ON (IT'S HOT) and squish it down a bit at the ends.
    But measure the finished diameter you want and order the next size up, you'll not go far wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, THAT makes better sense. Whew, thanks for unconfusing me...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    Here's a link: http://fluorotherm.com/Tubing-Heat-Shrink.asp

In the section labeled 'Sizing', notice the 'As Supplied' size is slightly bigger than the specified size and the 'Recovered Dimensions After Shrinking' is approximately the desired size.

This may be different for other manufacturers but this is what I'm used to.

BTW, heat shrink tubing is extruded to the shrunk size and stretched bigger and then cooled. When you heat it, it goes back the the original size.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can see, the chart proves my point. You order a certain size, knowing that it will shrink to the size you need. The size you order is the 'expanded' size, not the shrink to size..............

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    Here's a link: http://fluorotherm.com/Tubing-Heat-Shrink.asp

In the section labeled 'Sizing', notice the 'As Supplied' size is slightly bigger than the specified size and the 'Recovered Dimensions After Shrinking' is approximately the desired size.

This may be different for other manufacturers but this is what I'm used to.

BTW, heat shrink tubing is extruded to the shrunk size and stretched bigger and then cooled. When you heat it, it goes back the the original size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    As far as I can see, the chart proves my point.
    The first chart is the normal heat shrink tubing.

The second one is for roll covers (i.e. printing rolls, conveyer rollers, etc.) and is not the same. Itís meant for a rod type cover where the inside dimensions doesnít change. It will work though if what youíre covering isnít too uneven.

If youíre using the correct tubing, it will conform to uneven surfaces with sharp bends.

BTW, a trick that Iíve learned is that you can stretch the tubing starting size a bit bigger by inserting a needle nosed pliers and carefully pulling on the handles while heating it with a heat gun. Hold it stretched while it cools. Sometimes you need the tubing just a little bit bigger. Some heat shrink will stretch more than others.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to do that also! Great tip for a consumable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12